2.1: the real question, calls still dropped?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by killerbee79, Sep 12, 2008.

?

2.1 Calls being dropped yet?

Poll closed Oct 12, 2008.
  1. Yes, calls still being dropped...Fix it already ATT/Apple!!

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. Nope, all good now...Maybe one two but rare.

27 vote(s)
    79.4%
  1. killerbee79 macrumors member

Ok, 2.1 is out.....bug fixes, Genius all that stuff.

But the real question is did this fix all the dropped calls for you?
    (I would put up a poll, but i don't know how. I checked "post a poll with this thread" when writing it but it gave me no options for answers and preview didn't show any poll.)

Yes the iPhone now displays better "bars", however if you check -db strength you'll see it's really the same. Only ATT can fix that one. So the signal is the same, just displayed differently.

I think Apple just changed their drivers and software so it uses that signal differently, better, more efficently.

IMHO.

2. killerbee79 thread starter macrumors member

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I have never had a dropped call, so knowing that they fixed dropped calls makes it even less likely for me to get one :p.

(note: I have gotten dropped calls, but those were in one bar areas)

4. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

2.0.2 was the first time i had a dropped call in 5 years.
    and with that update i got them regularly.
    never had a problem with dropped calls during 2.0 or 2.0.1

but after recently installing 2.1 i havent had any problems related to reception or loss signal at all.

works for me!

5. Joined:
    Aug 21, 2008
    Thanks for posting this poll. Reduction in dropped calls is the only thing that will get me to upgrade pre-jailbreak and I'm seeing almost nobody say "I used to experience frequent dropped calls but not anymore". Hopefully they'll trickle in.

It sure would be nice to be able to leave 3G turned on.

6. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Because another poll is just what we needed... :rolleyes:

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Polls are good. I can get the information I need at a glance without having to read pages upon pages of posts and somehow glean the data I need and guess at a real conclusion.

I personally had both Sprint and Verizon for years with very few dropped calls. I've had more dropped calls in more places since switching to AT&T....and that was without an iPhone. I can't say for sure if the iPhone has actually been worse. But there is one location @ I-35 and 191 where it ALWAYS drops. After I update I'll be sure to test there as well as a few other places. Then I'll answer the poll.

For now, this poll is too soon. Any answers given today really can't be considered reliable. People have not had a chance to truly test it yet.

8. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Well, the one phone call that I've made so far on 2.1 was not dropped ;)

9. killerbee79 thread starter macrumors member

Like Geckotek says, polls are good as it's easy to get the info with one look fast. I mean look at the thread "iPhone 2.1 Firmware Now Available", 1,174 posts as of 5:25PM. Who wants to read through all that? Some of us have lives you know.

Yeah the poll is probably too soon, but i figured maybe people that had this problem already updated to 2.1 and had made or gotten calls. So maybe people already had an idea of the results.

I myself after hearing all the complaints about dropped calls turned off 3G on calls I made because i didn't want to take the risk. Unless I was calling some buddy of mine, in which case they just had to deal with it. :) (As the iPhone is my one and only primary phone)

Now I think I'll keep 3G on all the time.

10. scn macrumors newbie

dropped 3 calls in a row after update

I see more bars on the phone after installing the OS2.1, but I've dropped 4 calls since. I was outside in a location with 5 bars signal strength. That was unusual because I have suffered very very few dropped calls over the past 6 weeks since getting the iPhone 3G.

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I had a dropped call today, never had one before the 2.1 update, but I was in the subway, so it could have been just a weak signal.

12. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Where is the option for not having any dropped calls on 2.0.x?

13. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Isn't the real problem with dropped calls that iPhone 3G doesn't revert to EDGE when 3G reception doesn't cut it?

I mean, any normal 3G phone does that on the fly, in the middle of a call if necessary, always opting for whichever network has the better signal. 3G signal not good enough, wham, you're back on EDGE, 3G gets better again, bam, you're back on 3G. At no point do you notice the difference, and your call is most certainly not dropped.

With iPhone it's either-or. Just now I enabled 3G to try a speed test, but the iPhone said "No service". So I flipped back to EDGE and suddenly I had 5 bars again. Back to 3G - "No Service". It's supposed to go with EDGE if 3G doesn't cut it, right, or is this phone from 1998?

14. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

This may not mean much as I'd hardly had any dropped calls even before updating to 2.1, but my answer to the poll is "no, I haven't had any dropped calls with 2.1."