2.16 Core 2 duo maxed out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by icechunk, Mar 9, 2010.

1. icechunk macrumors newbie

I have a early 2008 MBP core 2 duo 2.16 Mhz macbook (see signature) with the max (4GB) RAM and a SSD. My laptop carries a heavy workload (software development) and I have a lot of applications running and l run into a lot of performance issues (beachball, slow response etc.).

What are my options at this point? I was waiting for the i5/i7 Quad core macbook pro to come out, but dunno when that will be. Should I just buy the latest core 2 duo and max the RAM to 8GB? My Page ins and outs are at 6GB and 1.5Gb right now, so RAM is definitely going to help.

But I think the performance boost would not be so great and the new MBP would be a much better upgrade. What do others think?

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Wait for the new models to come out and then purchase an updated MBP. Since you have a working system there's no point in buying now. Suffer a little longer and the reward will be worth it.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

2.16 MBP 15 inch 2008??
    That model doesn't exist.
    2.16 is a 2006 model and it does only support 3GB RAM, you can add 4 GB, but only 3GB would be used.

4. icechunk thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked here http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/ and it was built 2007. I think I made a mistake in my Original post, its a 2007 MBP.

But you are right, only 3GB of the RAM is being used.

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

RAM is definitely your problem, getting a new MBP with 8GB RAM will increase your speed a lot.
    But, there are new MBPs around the corner, so hold on to you C2D a little more!

(As for model names, the MBPs are usually referred to when they was introduced, the C2D 2.16/2.33 was introduced oct 2006, and is usually referred to as the 2006 C2D or late 2006 MBP, where as the 2007 MBP is the 2.2/2.4/2.6 Ghz Santa Rosa chipset models. Early 2008 model is the Penryn based MBP, with 2.4/2.5/2.6 GHz, which supports 6GB RAM and the late 2008 is the first unibody model. Confusing ain't it?)

6. needlz macrumors member

I just sold my 15.4" MBP (2007, 2.16 C2D, 3GB RAM) and bought a 13" uMBP. I also need it for programming and taking it to the university. The size makes it very easy to transport, and the 13" screen is enough for doing tasks on the road. When I get home, I just connect it to my 23" LED and everything is fine.

Now, when the new ones come out (I assume it'll be june), I'll just sell this (for the price I bought it, since I had a very good discount) and get a new one. Although I can wait for the new ones, since this system is more than enough ;)

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If your CPU is being maxed out because of the demands you're placing it, you only have two options as I see them.

1. Wait for the new arrandale MBPs which should arrive this month, or next
    2. Reduce the load on the CPU, lessen the programs you run simultaneously. Perhaps feasible but will probably impact your workflow. It will improve the responsiveness of your system.