2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 duo imac...and Logic Studio

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by vm1971, Oct 18, 2007.

1. vm1971 macrumors newbie

think ill have any issues? i would like to get back "in the groove" and use the new Logic stuff. i also have 3 gigs of RAM in that sucker...im guessin it should be ok, but i would like the input of some experienced users with this kinda knowledge.

my iMac speeeeeeeds thru my design apps, .. .QXP7, the Creative Suite, etc.. all while 10 MORE apps or more are open. so...

my only concern is running lots of software instruments, live audio, nice FX...
    maybe like 10 or more traxx at once. ive simplified my sound!

whattaya think?
    i will also be running a 500GB Lacie Firewire 400 hardrive with a 7200rpm spin for all this stuff.

i think i know the answers here, but hit me up and spill the beans on what you know of logic, logic studio, and the weight of processing power!

Vince:)

2. Plumbstone macrumors regular

Plumbstone

You will be fine with that setup. It more than meets the minimum requirements 10 or so tracks of audio will work fine and unless you are using a lot of seriously CPU intensive softsynths you should be rocking (or grooving).

3. vm1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Logic

THANKS!
    i thought so. im not new to this, just to the demands of Logic. im psyched to get started...thanks for the reply! :)

4. juxtaposer macrumors regular

Your system more than meets the requirements of what you want to do. Logic is not too intensive anyway and most systems made in the last two years should be more than capable of running it. A FireWire audio interface is always a nice bonus to help with latency problems etc. with live tracks. On the HDD side, what you have stated should be perfect for live recordings. Anyway, enjoy the music.
    Juxtaposer :apple:

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

????

6. vm1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Logic needs...thanks!

Yeah....i hear ya. i actually got a GREAT price on a new M-AUDIO interface.
    its not firewire, but its gotten some nice reviews. my pal is still using his older m-audio Qxygen USB interface and has no issues. so im guessin ill be ok. :)

7. gotzero macrumors 68040

My feeling has always been that if you are running into constant CPU issues on a relatively new computer, you are doing something inefficiently, and the cheapest upgrade is training yourself how to do things in a better way.

That said, if you hit a CPU roadblock, use a node! I bought a $500 1.83 C2D Mini, and it works great as a node, and runs 7 and 8 (still not completely comfy with 8) on its own just fine!

8. vm1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

NODE comment...

So can you expand a little more on this... thanks! ;)

9. gotzero macrumors 68040

Logic allows you to use gigabit ethernet to use other computers as processing "nodes", distributing some of the processor-intensive tasks. If you have an extra mac of a certain class/speed, you can install the node software, and the system will distribute some of the processing.

My main computer for music is a MBP, but when I am at home, I have a mini which I use as a general home computer. When I am home anyway, I can hook into the mini as a node if I am running a bunch of plug-ins or softsynths.

10. vm1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

more on nodes...

yeah.. i was pretty sure thats what you meant. i have a PowerBook G4..its only an 867... with a little over a gig of RAM in it. but updated and still in great shape. not sure if it would cut it... ?:)