2.16 MBP HD whine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aj2488, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Aj2488 macrumors regular

I went to empty trash (secure empty trash more specifically) and a few minutes into the process, the hard drive revved WAY WAY up and is whining horribly. Time for a new hard drive or is there anything I can do? Also getting the beach ball with almost everything I do now. Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Quick answer:::::

What Mac do you have and what Mac OS X version does run on it? How old is that Mac?

The thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.
    Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

from the forum rules:

Minor Problems

3. Thread titles.

Use thread titles that indicate the subject of the thread, not generic titles such as "Need help". Moderators may change thread titles that have no specifics, usually by adding something more specific in parentheses.
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Minor_Problems

3. Aj2488 thread starter macrumors regular

That was quick! 2.16 Intel Core Duo MBP. 10.6.2 Bought it in June of '06

4. Aj2488 thread starter macrumors regular

I also just downloaded the new iTunes and now that its installing the sound came back.... and bad. (I restarted the MBP right after the first post and the whining was gone until the install started)

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Try repairing permissions with the Snow Leopard DVD.

And also please change your thread title to get the appropriate audience.

PS: You can also edit your posts by clicking the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of the message.

6. Aj2488 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks for the advice, I'll try repairing the permissions now. Also, thread title fixed, sorry.

7. Aj2488 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, some permissions are repaired but the whine is still there when secure emptying trash... any other advice?

8. Aj2488 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so I repaired the disk permissions, emptied the trash and the whine came back fool force. Turned off MBP, turned back on a few minutes later and the whine started up right from the start. I'm now writing this on a friends PC with my Mac turned off. So now what should I do? Anything else I can try to fix this or is it time to get a new HD and is that even worth the repair costs? Thanks for any advice. :(

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could replace the HDD yourself if you have some knowledge in using simple tools.

Look at www.ifixit.com for a guide for your MBP. It is quite a hassle with that MBP, but if you feel up to it, it would certainly be cheaper than getting someone else to do it.
    Do you have any warranty left for your MBP?

Next time if you're in Disk Utility take a look at what the S.M.A.R.T. status does say?

[​IMG]

10. Aj2488 thread starter macrumors regular

No warranty left for me. Tried turning it on again and it won't even load up Finder... I'm fine with replacing it myself, however, is there anything I should know when ordering a new HD? HD size, brand (mac compatibility issues), etc.?

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Any 2.5" HDD with an S-ATA interface and a maximum height of 9.5mm will do. The height is the most important property you should look out for. 12mm drives will not fit.

The most reputable brands are Seagate, Western Digital and Hitachi.

Look around this forum via MRoogle for more than dozens of dozen threads about the right HDD.

12. Aj2488 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much for all your help and the info. Much appreciated! :D

13. Aj2488 thread starter macrumors regular

Would a 7200 RPM HD get to hot for the laptop in question?

14. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

15. Aj2488 thread starter macrumors regular

16. Aj2488 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, picked up and installed a Western Digital Scorpio Black drive. 320 GB 7200 RPM and it seems to be working great! However, when I plugged in my external HD via USB it doesn't show up in finder or on the desktop. I'm hoping a restart with the drive hooked up will fix that... we'll see in a bit. If not I think I'll need some more advice! :D -----Restart did not work, the external is plugged in via USB, lights on and its spinning, any suggestions?