2.16, SR 2.4 or New 2.4 MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yoak, Oct 22, 2008.

1. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I need a new MBP, mostly to use with video cameras on location and studio. Most important to me is the ExpressCard and Firewire.
    Final Cut is my main heavy app. Real editing will be done on a MP though

I use them to back up footage and empty the cards (SxS) quickly.
    I thought I was going to be thrilled with the new MBP, but I was not. More expensive, one Firewire port, glossy screen, looks best when closed.
    So I found this deal on the 2.4 previous MBP (brand new, we don´t have refurbs here in Norway for some reason)
    But it´s a bit annoying to by "old" tech when you by a brand new laptop.
    So I thought, what about a cheap 2nd hand MBP?
    I found a 2.16 C2D quite cheap, thinking this can do what I want, but how well?

I´m wondering if there is a huge difference between the 2.16 and the SR2.4?
    (and of course which machine to get in the end)

2. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

no significant difference is general computing task. You won't notice a significant difference unless you are doing divx encoding which supports sse4.1

3. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

that's good to hear. Tempting to go with the old one

4. lermal macrumors regular

lermal

One question, is it still under warranty?? Just to play "devil's advocate", what if something were to go wrong with the older, used model you are thinking about?? Sounds like you'll be relying heavily on your MBP, and if something were to go wrong, and it's not covered under warranty, you could end up paying much more than the cost of a new one if it were to fail. Maybe you should consider one of the clearance models (last season), which are new machines and covered by the 1-year Apple warranty, which you could pay for 3-year AppleCare as well. Just my 2 cents.

5. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

Good point. It's a too big risk to take. Come to think of it the battery is probably lousy battery too.
    I went to play with the new one. Sure feels like a well built piece o