2.16 vs 2.2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GnarleyMarley, Jan 18, 2008.

1. GnarleyMarley macrumors 6502a

GnarleyMarley

Hey all. I'm about to pull the trigger on a MBP for school. I'm either going to get the 2.16Ghz 1GB ram from the refurb store for $1499 or the new 2.2ghz 2GB ram from the education store for $1799. Am I going o be able to tell a huge difference between the two? I know they have different graphics cards. I'm going to be using the MBP 90% for Photoshop and Bridge CS3 as I am a photography student. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I want to order in the next couple hours.

Thanks.

2. Catch macrumors 6502

I would say that more than anything for your use the extra 1GB ram will be the main benefit.

You could always add another 1GB to the 2.16, but then the price might be so close that it would make more sense to go for the faster CPU :)

C

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I had both, really no difference just use more ram :)

4. originalcliche macrumors member

I would suggest though, only get it configured with 1 GB of ram if you can. Then you can install 3rd party ram which will save you a bunch of cash and since your in school saving cash is very important. Theres directions on how to install it on the apple website , i did it and everything is gravy :)

5. GnarleyMarley thread starter macrumors 6502a

GnarleyMarley

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up selling my iMac quite faster than I thought I would on friday, so I used that cash and ran over to the apple store and purchased a new 2.2ghz mbp!!! :D

6. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

good choice, led screen, SR platform, possibility of 8GB of ram lots of pros to the 2.2GHz model. You should grab some ram from OWC (macsales.com) for 100 bucks, should make the thing fly, enjoy!

7. landis macrumors regular

it is max 4 gigs not 8! i loaded mine up with 4 and it is speedy

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's actually 8 gigs max. 4gb chips just aren't widely available yet.