2.16GHz C2D White MB or 2.0GHz Alu MB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gazfocus, Dec 30, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I have just sold my 2.16GHz 15" Macbook Pro because cosmetically it was starting to show its age and I want to buy a smaller laptop. I was trying to decide between the Macbook and the Macbook Air but now with everything about the 2 being so similar, I had decided on the new Aluminium Macbook.

However, to throw a spanner in the works, my brother's offered me his White 2.16GHz C2D Macbook for £300 and I kinda feel bad accepting it for that price so may give him £400 if I decide to have it, but would I be better going for that rather than spending £800 on an Aluminium Macbook?

What is the maximum Ram on the white Macbook being offered? (I think it's the late 2006 model but not sure).

The white Macbook comes with its original box, original Tiger discs and the drop in Leopard and iLife 08 DVDs.

What do you think?

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

You can put 4GB in it but it will only see 3.3; also, it's 667Mhz instead of 1066Mhz.

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I would go for the Alu MB, my white MacBook is cracking on the area around the trackpad and on the hinge. Also, better graphics and faster front side bus also make it faster.

ChrisN

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Even at 400 quid, the used macbook is a steal. If the white one has APP on it, then I'd definitely go for that one. Otherwise, it depends on how you will be using the computer.

5. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Unfortunately, I don't think it has AppleCare. My brother bought it second hand but I've not had chance to check the serial number for AppleCare.

I will be using the laptop as my main computer between now and the release of the Nehalem Mac Pro when then, the Macbook will be used very lightly. I will be using it for web development and university assignments.

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If you are just buying it to wait out Nehalem Mac Pros, grab the MacBook, it's a very good price. The white MacBook is a great portable computer and for anything it can't do the Mac Pro will be able to take care of.

7. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

OWC says that the 2.16GHz model can take 4GB :confused:. Do we have real-life confirmation one way or the other on this?

Also, BareFeats tested the different memory speeds, and there's nothing too special about DDR3 yet, though that will likely change in the future.

8. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Alu MB. Better graphics, faster memory and just a better machine overall.

Victor

9. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

If it is the mid-2007 model, it is the one I owned. I installed 4GB in there, and "About This Mac" would see 4GB, but Activity Monitor would only register 3.3GB.

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The 2.16 GHz MacBook is the early "07 model and will use up to 3.3 GB RAM. This model was the last one to use Intel GMA950 graphics.

11. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook

It's actually officially categorizes under "Mid 2007" (which was what I was referring to), but yeah, it's only 3.3GB.

12. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Thank you aaquib for the confirmation! Glad I didn't get a 4GB kit as a gift for someone after all :eek:

13. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to opt for the White Macbook off my brother because then I could get an iPhone 3G on PAYG and still have a bit of change left :)

14. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I've just got this Macbook off my brother and checked the warranty status and found that it is infact still under it's 12 month warranty, which expires 10th January 2009.

Now, I've always thought AppleCare is good but as a rule of thumb, if something has problems within the first year, I'd buy the AppleCare. However, my brother got the laptop 2nd hand and therefore, we don't know what (if any) problems the Macbook's had in the past.

Would you advise buying AppleCare? I am a uni student so how much would it cost? Where's the best place to buy it from in the UK? I just had a look in the HE store and it doesn't seem any cheaper than the normal store.

15. jamin100 macrumors 6502

I would defiantly get applecare and quick!
    eBay is your best bet. I recently got it for £63 for my macbook.

Check out a seller called memorymate - I think he sells them for £90.
    I got the code emailed to me within minutes of paying.

Entered it onto the apple website and it took about 3-4 days to register.

16. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Yes, do be sure to buy it. eBay has it the cheapest.

17. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks for that...Managed to get it for £85 which is a bargain. Regarding the registration, will Apple acknowledge the day I register it (so if I enter it into the website Monday and it doesn't register with them til after 9th, will it still be ok?)