2.16GHz Macbook Pro Re-Incarnation...need lots of help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThisSideDownatk, Aug 4, 2010.

1. ThisSideDownatk macrumors newbie

Okay here's the problem...

I currently have a 15" macbook pro from around the 2006 era (model#: a1150) and i need to bring this thing back to life. not quite sure whats wrong but I know i need to have my logic board repaired/fixed/replaced, and don't know exactly how to go about doing this. I have a working ibook g4 1.33ghz (using right now) and want to possibly trade this thing for the parts i need to rebuild my MB pro...anyone have any ideas or help? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated on where to begin on this reconstruction...I'm a novice to the world of apple computers so go easy and try not to flame this thread up because im seriously trying to learn all the knowledge i can as you can never stop learning in this life, and i severely need to learn how to wake my laptop up from the dead since it hasn't been used in quite some time now. Email me! ThisSideDownATK@aim.com Thanks guys and gals...Tomorrow's another day!

2. d4nn0 macrumors member

d4nn0

The first important thing: if you're not sure about it, don't attempt it yourself! Although replacing a logic board is very possible, you can also waste $100s and still have nothing at the end.

Secondly, if you feel confident poking around inside your MBP, look at iFixit: http://www.ifixit.com/Mac-Parts/MacBook-Pro-15"-Model-A1150 . This page has a list of parts for your machine, and also, the relevant guides for how to replace the parts once you have your hands on the replacements.

My honest advice:
    a) Don't trade the G4: you're going to need it to read instructions off of and come here for help if necessary

b) If you know for sure that the logic board is dead, consider picking up another used machine or just getting a new Macbook. Logic board for your machine will run $500-$600, while a new Macbook will be $1100 and will last you for much longer.

c) Not sure if anyone else can confirm, but will an Apple Store do a check to see what's not working on the inside? It would be a shame to spend so much on a logic board if it was okay all along.

-Danno