2.16GHz Macbook to current Macbook/Mac mini. Performance difference?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ajprice, Jan 3, 2010.

1. ajprice macrumors newbie

I currently have a 2.16GHz white Macbook, bought in 2007. Basic spec is 2GB RAM, Intel GMA graphics, 120GB hard drive and OS X 10.5, connected to a Dell 2407 24" screen, along with an Xbox and PS3. So an iMac, even if it is 27", won't do much for those at the moment because of the Displayport connection.

Current 13" Macbook, 13" MB Pro and Mac Minis are 2.26 or 2.53GHz, that much seems barely any difference to what I've got. So how much of a jump is the rest of the spec over my Macbook, like the 9700 graphics and more modern motherboard, bus speed, RAM etc. Is it going to be that much faster that it makes my Macbook look silly?

I'm not looking to buy anything ASAP, just looking ahead to something this year. Seeing what happens with the tablet, a Mac mini/tablet combo might work out, I use my iPhone a lot, but the Macbook hardly ever leaves the desk, nevermind leave the house with it.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Depends what you do with it. The 9400m is about 5-6 times faster than the GMA950. The RAM is about 30% faster. Real world, you may notice a big difference if you use the graphics card, not so much if you don't.