2.1GHz White MB vs. 2.26 MBP Speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m.a.c.b.o.y, Jul 6, 2009.

1. m.a.c.b.o.y macrumors member

Hello,
    This may have been asked before but I did not find any very specific answers.

Right now i have a 2.1GHz Early 2008 Penryn MacBook with 2GB of ram, but I am in need of a little bit more speed. Would i see a dramatic increase in speed in the new 2.26 MacBook Pro with 2GB ram. Also, would it be better to upgrade to 4GB in the new MBP?

Thank you very much.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would recommend just upgrading your current MacBook to 4GB, see if that does the trick. But yes, a new MacBook (Pro) with 4GB would show a difference.

3. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

What kind of speed increase do you need? Where are you currently encountering slow performance? What is your typical usage patterns?

That will help people give you the best advice possible. As the other poster mentioned, you may simply not have enough RAM for optimal performance. But it depends on your usage.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

DDR2 ram is dirt cheap, there's no reason not to do it. A 7200 rpm hard drive may not be a bad idea, either.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You would see more drastic improvements in a SSD inside your MB over a new MBP @ 2.26 GHz.
    More RAM won't increase your speed if you don't max out what is already there.