2.1's most insanely cool undocumented feature

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrewjnyc, Sep 12, 2008.

1. andrewjnyc macrumors member

Okay, maybe it isn't really an undocumented feature, but I skimmed a load of threads here and none of them mentioned it: If you're listening to music, you can now run an app at the sam time! Before--for me at least--the music would always cut off if I was using the iPod app and decided to play a game of Tris or whatever. On my subway ride home, I wound up listening to Superchunk while I played a few games of Hold 'Em, and being able to do so completely caught me by surprise. And man, was it ever fun.

2. maciekl macrumors newbie

Wow - didn't even catch that. Personally I think that's the best thing in 2.1!!!

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Yeah, I think there was something wrong with your iPhone then.
    I've always been able to do that.

Ahh- looks like you just mean third-party apps. I'm not sure about that then.

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Huh, I wasn't even going to try because I figured that it wouldn't work. I've been trained to believe that it shouldn't.

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

No, I don't think you could - especially with Apps that used the sound.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Most apps that had their own audio or music would often cut out the iPod audio. You could, however, usually unpause the iPod with the mic button on the iPhone earbuds.

7. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Nothings changed... :|

If that were to change, the only reason being the app would have been updated. All apps on 2.1 do the same, cutting out the music or not.

8. dranakin macrumors 6502

That's not new. I could always listen to my iPhone's music while playing Tris, Sol Free, or any other third-party app [that didn't have it's own music].

9. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Same

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

been that way ever since ive had my touch since launch. music has always worked while using other apps

11. andrewjnyc thread starter macrumors member

I guess it's a developer's-choice option and I just never happened to try doing it before with any apps where it works. Did some experimenting now and the music cut out during Aurora Feint, Super Monkey Ball and Motion X Poker, but it kept playing during Hold 'Em and Tris and while plonking around in Now Playing, Mandelbrot and the New York Times app. I'm surprised it keeps playing in Hold 'Em, because that game has so much sound of its own.

12. pooryou macrumors 65816

I think it's a RAM issue. When the phone runs out of RAM the app quits.

13. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

It mainly depended on the app, some cut out, some didn't previously.