2.2.1 fixes compatibility with car stereos, docks etc!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by neiltc13, Jan 31, 2009.

1. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I just tried my iPhone 3G in my car after updating it to 2.2.1.

I have a Sony car stereo which has a 30-pin iPod dock connector on it and previously it would not be able to recognise the iPhone or the music on it.

I'm not entirely sure whether the issue I was having was resolved in an earlier version but I know for sure now that my Sony car stereo can control my iPod and read everything from it properly now that I am updated.

Unfortunately Apple removed the FireWire charging pin from iPhone 3G (and the modern iPods) so charging is not possible any more, but at least I can play my music!

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

It never stopped working for my car stereo, Glad it's fixed for you though.

I just picked up one of these at the apple store in bristol for £20
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/21/scosche-passport-firewire-to-usb-ipod-adapter-gets-reviewed/
    it's annoying having to pay £20 for an adaptor, but I can now charge my iphone while listening to it in my car.
    They don't seem to list it on the website, and it's not out on the shelves, but I asked a sales guy about it and he went out back and got one. He said they have them in occasionally, but don't put them out, he doesn't know why.

3. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Oh wow, I didn't think it was a significant enough issue to warrant someone making one of these. Thanks - I'll be sure to order one soon. They are on the Apple Store website now.