Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
So, I went to purchase something on the App store this evening and it asked for my account info.

In my previous experience, it has asked me for my password only. I'd only synced my device (running 2.2.1) a few minutes before with iTunes 8.2. Since this is new behaviour, I have to ask:

1) Is there anyway of Apple adding this functionality to the iPhone without a firmware update?

2) Is it possible that Apple are going to enable certain 3.0 features through the iTunes/App store on the device (such as account handling)? If so, could this mean they are getting ready for a 3.0 release soon?

Update: Even though I put all the info in once already, the device isn't holding it. I was just prompted to put the info in again. ALSO: at the bottom of the front most page of both iTunes and App Store on my iPhone, my account name is showing and it is logged in (therefore telling me it has been synced and should only prompt for password
Screen shot below:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/179202/photo.jpg

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
If you aren't logged in to your iTunes account in the iTunes store when you sync your iPhone, it will prompt for the username too.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
If you aren't logged in to your iTunes account in the iTunes store when you sync your iPhone, it will prompt for the username too.

That's the thing though....I AM logged in. I'm logged in according to iTunes on my mac AND according to my account name at the bottom of the iTunes/App Store pages and it's still asking me this?

I've used this device time and time again to download apps the exact same way (whilst being logged in like I am now), yet this is the first time this has happened (twice now in the past 2 hours). Sorry to say it, but this is something different to a first time log in or a log out problem.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
you just got logged out somehow, we all did this when we first got our iphones..

Nope. not logged out. I updated my post to reflect the fact I am logged in on the device and my mac...yet it is still asking me for both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.