2.2.1 - iPod Touch Invert - Unheard of Previously?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jaded-mandarin, Feb 5, 2009.

1. jaded-mandarin macrumors regular

Hi,

I was given an iPod Touch (1st Gen) as a birthday present in July 2008. Up until today it had ticked over soundly. This morning I updated to the latest firmware (2.2.1), this went fine. I then disconnected the iPod, only to realize I wanted to change an artist or copy some album artwork. I did so, and then plugged the iPod back in. As soon as my MacBook registered it as connected, the iPod's screen flashed brightly. It stayed like that, and upon closer inspection it appeared that all the colours on my screen have been drastically inverted. The screen is the brightest of whites with the icons a barely recognizable negative-style colour.

I let the update finish, re-plumbed it in, it's the same.

I reset it etc and it appeared it was a firmware problem, possible caused by the new update.

This afternoon I took it to an :apple: Genius, him and his coworkers were puzzled and intrigued when I explained and produced the iTouch. After a bit of Google searching they were unable to find a similar instance where this has happened.

He ran a diagnostics check which was ok, and proceeded to restore the iTouch to the default factory settings. This however has made no difference to the screen. He really was puzzled. I know that sometimes Genius' are not the most knowledgeable :apple: peeps, so I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has ever experienced or known of an instance where this has happened. I can produce pictures is required, although it's difficult to see the screen due to the invert effect (it just looks a bright white).

Also he put in my serial to check the warranty. He said the warranty had expired (it started Dec 2007), however I was given my iTouch as a present in July 2008, and knew it was purchased that month also. I explained it was an Amazon purchase by my girlfriend, and so their purchase and stock dates would obviously differ from the consumer purchase date. He said that if I could provide evidence the iPod was bought in July 2008, Apple would update my warranty, entitling me to a new iPod Touch (2nd Gen) over the counter, like that.

I've checked my girlfriend's Amazon page, and brought up the order summary. It has purchase date, estimated dispatch and estimated delivery date. It has product description, price and payment details. I feel this is sufficient evidence. I rang Apple as I was instructed, and was transferred to a call assistant obviously not my country (sounded Indian). The situation was obviously a challenge to explain so that it was clear and simple, but he did tell me to fax the print out to a number he gave me. I asked what else he wanted, as I'm sure they wouldn't exactly understand a random fax of an Amazon purchase (he didn't ask for my serial or anything), but he also interestingly added that I could go to the Apple store and show them proof, and they would in-turn update my warranty.

I just wanted to make sure this is the case, as the Genius didn't mention this. Is their anyone in the know to help me?

2. mfresh macrumors newbie

My experience in a similar situation was that Apple were fine about it. I produced a printout from the online store where I bought my Ipod showing the date of purchase and they barely gave it a glance, put in the date of purchase into their computer system, and said that my Ipod was covered from that date, and replaced it free, including having the engraving on the back done again.

The only thing is that the new replacement unit was only guaranteed for the remainder of my year's guarantee period, which is fair enough I suppose.

I wouldn't worry about it - if you have a printout from Amazon or whatever you'll be sweet.

Good luck

3. jaded-mandarin thread starter macrumors regular

4. addicted44 macrumors 6502a

Actually, Amazon is pretty popular all over the world, and a few years ago was used by many computer scientist students to import books that were not available outside the US...

5. Sasuke-chan macrumors member

Hi, Im just wondering that, if the firmware update caused the device to malfunction, isn't it fair for apple to replace (or at least repair) the device even if the warranty is over?

6. jaded-mandarin thread starter macrumors regular

Whilst it is most likely the firmware update that has caused the malfunction, there is no concrete evidence to suggest so. The Genius has assured me the warranty will get updated, however if not, I won't hesitate to argue my case of the update causing the problem.

Just an update.

My suspicions were correct, employees at the Apple store are in fact unable to change the warranty status, the Genius suggested this might be down to possible abuse/leniency on their part if they were able to.

The fax number the call centre guy gave me was a specific fax number you can forward your proof of purchase to, and the department will update things. It's a pity he didn't explain this properly on the phone.

The Genius discovered that if you email electronic proof of purchase, it will take 2-3 business weeks to clear, whereas a fax is estimated at 2-3 days. I'm astounded at this, especially in today's world.

I found a place that would let me fax in the city, it cost me £2 to send one piece of paper. The Genius said he would do the email route and just wait for the quickest one. So I'm left just checking my warranty status online until (hopefully) they authorize it.

All the time my poor old iTouch is horrifically inverted. :(

7. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

take a screenshot (press sleep and home button at the ame time) and upload it here.

8. jaded-mandarin thread starter macrumors regular

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you have photo synching enabled then it'll end up in iPhoto.

10. jaded-mandarin thread starter macrumors regular

My iPod was restored by the Genius, so I didn't want to plumb it in and sync my music again. Was easier to input my gmail account again.

[​IMG]

Must be a display issue?

11. jaded-mandarin thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to dig this up again, but I have another update.

It was last Friday when I faxed, and the Genius emailed my proof of purchase, an order summary from Amazon that the Genius assured me would be satisfactory. I was told the fax process would take 2-3 days only, and sometimes the same day. I was also told that when the Apple store got any reply it would be forwarded to me.

So here I am, a week later. Checking Mail every day and checking the warranty status on the Apple site a few times a day, nothing.

I went back into the Apple store and explained my situation. An employee disappeared into the back for a good ten minutes, then came back.

Apparently Apple had got back in touch, and decided an online invoice was not sufficient. They want me to go back and find the "receipt" that came with the iPod. I told them that this would be difficult as it was a gift and it all happened over half a year ago. His solution was to contact Amazon, with a blank face.

I'm fuming because I just know that if I hadn't gone back in, Apple would never have bothered to get in touch with me, it's disgusting. I was told that all information would be relayed. It is me who is working off my own back to run around to prove that I bought the iPod when I did, because Apple registered the warranty when it was sold to Amazon for stocking. It is obviously a problem on their side, because they have a department dedicated to updating warranties from 3rd party sellers. A problem I doubt many other technological companies suffer from, as they most likely only deal with 3rd party distributors. I'm angry because I've smiled and been back and forth to sort this, when it was a software update that ruined the iPod in the first place, and they can't even be bothered to let me know what's going on.

Luckily my girlfriend back home has found the delivery note. So now, come Monday, I have to start the whole process over again. Such enjoyment.

12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Didn't you register your iPod touch when you first plugged it in? I didn't know the warranty started as soon as it gets off the factory assembly line... that's just wrong. Does Amazon open up all the boxes, start the warranty and then sell them?

13. jaded-mandarin thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know the answer, I'm as perplexed as you. The iPod was unopened when I received it so I cannot understand why the warranty started rolling.

...Anyways, I faxed proof of purchase again yesterday, and was presently surprised when this morning, Apple updated my warranty. I hit the Apple Store, and after a few minutes a guy came out with my new iTouch. After signing for it etc I went away.

The Genius I saw the first two times told me that Apple do not store older generation hardware, so I'd have to be given the 2G (which I was happy about, side volume control, something new etc. etc.). But having opened it, I find I have a brand new 1st gen iTouch. The copyright on the back is 2007. However it is definitely new. I'm a bit disappointed, not that I deserve an upgrade, but because what the Genius had said got me in the mindset that I was receiving a new one. Is this odd? Is Apple known to hang on to outdated hardware? It's been quite a while now since the refresh.

14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Your touch suffered the white-screen-of death, which is exactly what happened to my original Touch. I never figured out what caused the white screen, but did hear from someone (at Apple) I talked to when arranging for a replacement that it was not uncommon.

I'm glad you got a new one. My replacement has been working fine.

15. Crueman569 macrumors newbie

Proof of Purchase for Ipod touch warranty?

I've heard several different things...some say you do need a proof of purchase for your warranty and some say you just need the serial number. Well I have proof of purchase from a verified apple seller www.jr.com . The only thing is that my receipt from them does not have the serial number of the ipod touch on it. It has several different numbers, including the UPC, the purchase order number, and the payment number, but it does not have any numbers that specifically and directly tie it to my ipod unless perhaps you contact www.jr.com and verify the serial number (just a hunch). Well I'm going to sell this ipod and I want to know if this is good enough "proof of purchase" for the buyer to use in case they need to use their warranty. Any response would be great. Thanks.

-Dano

16. kunal123 macrumors member

The warranty works like this:
    If you have proof of purchase they will end the warranty one year after the date it was bought.
    If you don't have proof of purchase they will see the serial number and that will tell them when it was manufactured and they will cover it until one year from then.