2.2.1 - It's good to be back!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mavis, Mar 23, 2009.

1. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Like many other devs, I jumped on 3.0 as soon as it was launched, not so much for testing my own apps but for trying out the new features. Today I finally got up the nerve to downgrade to 2.2.1 and GOOD LORD. What a difference!!!

It's amazing how fast 2.2.1 seems after using 3.0 for less than a week. I just hope they optimize the heck out of it before the official launch, or there are going to be LOTS of angry iPhone owners. :eek:

2. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

I'm going to do the same myself here! It would be grand if you have a spare iPhone for testing but I wouldnt reccommend using your primary phone on it, I suppose that is why it is called a beta! The lag on the SMS was getting to me this morning! So off to go downgrade!

Was it easy enough done for you?

3. sd2009 macrumors 6502

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH
    OMFGGGGGGGGGGGG
    ITS A BETA
    ARGGHHHHHHHHHHH
    STOP INSULTING APPLE
    ITS A BETAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    ARE YOU STUPID?!!??!!?!?
    ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I AM SO ANNOYED.

Well someone was going to do it eventually
    :rolleyes:

4. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

lol, but no one is insulting!

I am fully aware of the situation!

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Roffles.

I went back after a day and a half. Wish I had installed it on my backup instead.

6. wil49 macrumors member

I was half tempted to get a developer handset, but with the possible upgrade I am going to hold off till the WWDC. With the app I am currently working on I need to have certain APIs working perfect so I cant risk changing to 3.0 yet, its frustrating but I will be able to do it in next 3 weeks hopefully.

7. combsatl macrumors newbie

Aside from a few minor bugs I'm not having any issues with 3.0 (knock on wood). Well, it did take three restores for it to finally work like it should (strange)...

The initial restore: Seemed to be working fine until I attempted the tethering hack. Tethering worked for about 2 hrs in the US on AT&T but then it said my data services could not be activated. I fixed that (restored from old carrier file) but then I was getting, maybe, three hours on a fully charged battery. I left work on Friday evening to go to a hockey game and by the end of the game the phone was completely dead.

Restore two: I restored as soon as I got home and the battery issue seemed to be fixed. I now had a goofy issue where when I would be in email or messaging and went to landscape keyboard, the sounds would stop working - all of them. I'd sometimes get a vibrate but not all the time.

Restore three: I stuck the phone into recovery mode and restored. I've had it going like this since Saturday and it seems to be VERY stable. The only issues I've been noticing are: 1) cannot press a phone number from email and have it call. This works just fine from safari but not from messaging or email. 2) Menu bar in the Phone app sometimes disappears. No biggie, just reboot and it's fixed. .... and that's really all I've had problems with.

I am pleased to report that the battery life I've been receiving since the astonishing 3.5 hours is better than 2.2.1. I estimate I would get about 3 days standby - pretty amazing (considering I have WIFI, 3G and push all turned on!!!!)

To those of you who have been having serious problems with 3.0 - restore again. I'm not sure why but I have had terrific luck with a simple restore when I begin to have problems. My issues may have resulted from the phone being jailbroken in 2.2.0 - who knows.

Ok, that is all :)

8. cruelmemory macrumors member

Yeah, 3.0 is slow and buggy and everything people say it is and yes, I've been resetting my iPhone daily since installing it just like everyone else running 3.0.

I bet 2.2.1 would be great to go back to as a user but developers that are going to be working on mew apps or updating their apps to work with 3.0 is who this is aimed at. That's why it's not a public beta.

I kinda wanna switch back for stability reasons but so far I haven't had any epic fails. Have not had to restore 3.0 (in fact when I installed it I just did an update, not a restore) because any crash was resolved by resetting the phone, resetting all settings or performing a sync.

I do have to admit, I love spotlight and love no longer caring about my home screen page layout.

9. macfan881 macrumors 68020

10. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

That didn't take long. Looks like sleeptodream was right.

And yes, I realize it's a beta. I guess it just surprises me that certain obvious bugs made it out the door in the first place, as if Apple doesn't do any internal testing of builds whatsoever. That, and I was hoping 3.0 would offer some speed improvements or at least stay the same, rather than being such a huge step backward. But yeah - it's just a beta.

11. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Yeah, I went back after about a day. 3.0 just didn't feel "right."
    It was easy enough to downgrade back to 2.2.1. Regaining service after downgrading, however, was not.
    I must've restored about 10 times and worked on it for hours. I'd get back to 2.2.1, and it would refuse to activate.
    I once restored to a custom .ipsw, and it finally activated, but Cydia crashed upon opening, so I had to restore again.
    Finally got on 2.2.1, activate, full service, jailbroken with Cydia working around 2 am. Bleck.