2.2.1 to 3.0b5 - Upgrade steps?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BNZ1, May 13, 2009.

1. BNZ1 macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

I am planning on upgrading my 3G to 3.0B5 (I need to do some 3.0 testing so this is a required upgrade, not just playing around).

Quick question - Can I upgrade to 3.0b5 from 2.2.1 or do I have to do a fresh install? If I have to do a fresh install can I then restore my latest 2.2.1 backup?

Basically am I going to lose all my app settings? Also I use a PC as my main computer and sync my phone with this. Is this an issue with 3.0b5, or do I need to sync with my mac with the current release of 3.0?

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Contact apple since they have all of the Iphone beta information for ADC members. I'm sure they'll have all the information needed for a developer to test with

3. BNZ1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but I was more hoping for some user experiences. I know upgrading to a Beta without a clean install go's against everything I have ever learned in this field but hey, I am hoping somone can assure me that it is ok in this case?

4. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Set up as new phone, restoring from backup often has problems. Download the firmware, Option+Restore in iTunes, select new firmware, upgrade.

I wouldn't use it on a primary device though, only a device dedicated to software testing, as the risk of loosing info is high.

5. BNZ1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, not a major about losing info really, more just the hassle of re-configuring everything.

6. Cap41 macrumors 6502

I am a noob iphone user. I upgrade to 3.0 B5. Yep had to reconfigure everything again.

7. BNZ1 thread starter macrumors regular

As no one could confirm I should do otherwise, I upgraded 2.2.1 to 3.0b5 and restored my backup. All on a Windows box without issue. :D

8. Cap41 macrumors 6502

I don't think you can back to 2.2.1 i tired, kept getting error 1604. went into DFU mode still didnt help. I find 3.0b5 a little sluggish

9. aleclerc macrumors newbie

I'm about to upgrade my touch to 3b5 but I can't figure out how to do it in iTunes. When I click restore it just says that it's going to restore to 2.2.1

I have the.ipsw file downloaded, but it doens't seem to be importing to iTunes in any way. Any ideas? Am I completely missing a step?

10. The General macrumors 601

1. Follow the ADC instructions. You can find them when you log in to your ADC account.

11. marra2 macrumors regular

marra2

i went from 3.0 beta 3 back to 2.2.1 by going to 2.2 first then used quickpwn to bring it out of recovery mode then upgraded to 2.2.1 then quickpwn again but only to activate phone .
    theres plenty of guides out there on how to do it if you look.

12. BNZ1 thread starter macrumors regular

Just a key stroke. What key are you also pressing when you click update/restore?

13. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I can predict the content of your next post:

"My iphone doesn't work after upgrading to 3.0 beta! Please help."

Recommendation: If you are truly a developer, work with Apple to solve your technical problems. That is what you paid $99 for. If you aren't a developer, just wait a month. It isn't that far away.

14. Vazzyb macrumors member

Vazzyb

15. BNZ1 thread starter macrumors regular

No

16. BNZ1 thread starter macrumors regular

Serisouly, why do you bother coming on here? To tell people who ask for help on a help forum to go elsewhere? Get over yourself mate, I expained I was looking for some user experiences with restoring 2.X backup data onto a 3.0 device, I missed the "read other users experiences" on Apples FAQ.

17. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Well in case you didn't know, Apple hires a very select group of Apple Experts whom have Apple knowledge much superior to that of an Apple Genius and these people become part of a very secret, very powerful group not unlike Hitlers SS. These special employees' main existence is to patrol message boards and enforce all of Apples rules and regulations. They're only weakness is .... Ignoring them.

Trust me man, just ignore the people that aren't helpful, there's plenty of us that are here just like you to seek some help from people that have true user experience and to offer help whenever we can. Other people just get their jollys off of feeling important and powerful, but really all they have is a computer and too much time on their hands. Let me know if you have any questions, I'll do my best to help.

18. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

Attitudes of some posters...

... if it wasn't for users sharing their knowledge, then what would the point be of these forums and discussions, and more importantly, how would we all learn?

I could not even begin to tell you how much i've learned over the years through asking questions, reading forums, and giving back some of my knowledge.

These elitist attitudes of some, to make a post to tell us to go somewhere else, well - what a waste of time and bandwidth.

Peace!

19. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Today? To get a good laugh.

If you can't get your question answered here because the beta program directly prohibits discussion on boards like this, then yes.

Then I guess your question was answered by going back to the Apple documentation as I suggested. You're welcome!

20. BNZ1 thread starter macrumors regular

No mate, I was being sarcastic. There is no user experiences section on apples beta faq. Hence, I turned to a "support" forum