2.2 15" SR MBP vs 2.26ghz 13.3" uMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by product26, Jul 2, 2009.

1. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

Well. I am looking at the 13.3" Unibody MacBook Pro and wondering if it is a worthwhile trade to sell my 15" Santa Rosa (first LED backlit) MacBook Pro.

I record and mix music with protools, so the DDR3 ram should help with performance. The clock speed is relatively unchanged. I am willing to sacrifice screen real estate for portability because I have a 20" aluminum cinema display when I need it.

Aside from the onboard graphics not having dedicated memory, is there any reasons I shouldn't sell my macbook pro for the new 13" one? As of now I can break pretty even because as a student I can get about $100 off & a free iPod touch that I can sell.

2. crzdmniac macrumors regular

That's exactly what I did. I don't notice any real performance differences, but then again about the most I push it is with Parallels. I was able to sell my 2.2 SR MBP with 4GB of RAM and a 320GB WD Scorpio Black for $1100. I think I did fairly well with it considering that it was sold on craigslist so no listing fees etc. If you're doing if for portability then great, performance isn't that great of a difference as of now (with the exception of the SR MBP more powerful video), but you'll be able to got up to 8GB of RAM with the new 13" MBP, and you should be better able to utilize SSDs when they come down in price.

3. product26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

product26

Good to hear. Thanks for the reply. I just got back from the local Apple shop. I am REALLY tempted to make this happen.

I have the exact same specs on my 15" MBP except my hard drive is a seagate. I will probably swap out the drive, unless the drive in the new MBP is a seagate or western digital. I do not trust Fujitsu, I have personally seen 3 fujitsu drives die in ibooks, powerbooks & macbook pros. What kind of hard drive is in your new 13.3" MBP?

The difference in graphics performance is not even a concern. ProTools I have a MacPro and a HTPC hackintosh for graphic intensive work.

4. crzdmniac macrumors regular

It came with a Fujitsu I believe, but I replaced it with a 500GB Scorpio Blue. I was already filling up the 320GB drive that I had in the SR, so I was looking to expand anyways. I've never had much luck with Toshiba or Fujitsu drives myself.

5. product26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

product26

using my new 13" MBP now... got a free ipod touch, well sort of. You have to buy it and send in for a rebate. After I get the rebate I will be selling the ipod.

So far, so good with the MBP.