2.2 4gb SR macbook seems slower than 2.0 3gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johny5, Dec 11, 2007.

1. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Well I purchased another macbook and there are a few issues with it which I arent really happy about although I dont think anything can be done about them so I guess I will have to stick with it!?

first (the subject title although its not really an issue) this 2.2ghz with 4gig ram seems slower than my other macbook 2.0ghz with 3gb ram? I am talking about mainly entourage and just web browsing (scrolling the page up and down with the trackpad). When the new MB came I just swapped the hard drives and the apps were working just fine in the 2.0ghz!? I know its probably just my mind playing tricks but i swear entourage is lots slower, like when you click on a mail and then click another mail item (I use exchange server).

Second issue is the trackpad button. If I click it on the left its fine, makes a nice audible click however if i press it on the right it seems like its pushed down already and you dont really know if youve pressed it or not (other than to wait for a response from the screen).

Third and final issue is that there appears to be a bright white dot type effect on the lcd panel just off centre to the right and up about 1 inch. If you look really closely you can see its not a dead pixel as its actually behind the lcd matrix. I can only guess its a bit of dust on the light but its very annoying and is about 2mm squared (ish).

do you think there is anything I can do with regards to the last 2 issues? I am pretty miffed about them as its a brand new mac but seems almost like a refurb. I could have saved £60 in getting a refurb but i thought no, i will get a new one. I even gave the old 2.0ghz to my daughter and wished I had kept that but then again the issues on this one need sorting.

:(

2. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Take it to an Apple Store and use the warranty the computer came with....don't put up with a wacky track pad or white dot in the monitor--I'm afraid the perceived slowness of the computer is not something you can actually prove to them though....unless something is really slow when it shouldn't be and it's very noticeable.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I do sympathize with you, but this part is off. A refurbished Apple is *less* likely to be buggy than a new Apple, because it has actually been checked and tested by human beings before being boxed. Your chances of buying a bug-ridden Macbook increase if you buy a new one compared to if you buy a refurbished one. So saying "it seems like a refurb" is quite upside down, as if this *were* a refurbished MB, all of these issues would have been detected, and fixed before reboxing. Just something for future reference. If you want a 95% chance of a good machine, get a new one. If you want a 99% chance, get a refurbished one.

4. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

lol heatmiser your probably right, but surely there must be some sort of checking prior to boxing of the new ones?

Anyway I just had a brain wave, dont apple do the "14 day money back" policy?
    I am far from an apple store and would rather just ship it back tbh.
    Then I might even look at going on to a macbook pro :)

Having said that, do the memory sticks go straight into a pro? I know that the hdd is a lot harder to swap than the macbook. mmm I may end up just getting another macbook especially as its a BIG price jump to go pro.

YAY! just found this on apples site, so will return and buy another :)

If you purchased a product between October 31, 2007 - December 24, 2007, you may return items up to January 8, 2008.

5. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy