2.2 code on 3.0 device

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by amalshah71, Aug 20, 2009.

1. amalshah71 macrumors member

Hello,

I have a app built for 2.2 with iPhone SDK 2.2.1.

And i had my device with 2.2.1 firmware. My app(built for 2.2 with iPhone SDK 2.2.1) worked perfectly fine on device with 2.2.1

Now i have updated my device to 3.0.

While installing i repeatedly get a "No provisioned iPhone OS device is connected"....though there's no problem with the connection

Is installation possible of a app built for 2.2 with iPhone SDK 2.2.1 on 3.0 device?

or is it something else that i am missing....

amal

2. ghayenga macrumors regular

It works fine for me. You're missing something else.

3. boyplunder macrumors regular

boyplunder

The device is now a 3.0 device. Make sure that you have selected the right iphone device when testing. You may well have left it on iPhone device 2.2.1.

I have an iPod Touch which is 2.2.1 OS, and an iPhone, which is fully updated to 3.0 OS. I select device 2.2.1 when using the iPod, but device 3.0 when testing on the iPhone.

4. Delirium39 macrumors regular

Make sure you have installed the latest SDK. If you haven't upgraded your SDK in several months, it probably isn't able to see the 3.0 iPhone. I'm on the latest SDK, and build for 2.0 devices, yet it will run fine on 2.2.1 and 3.0 devices at that setting.

5. Delirium39 macrumors regular

You shouldn't have to do that. A 2.2.1 build should work just fine on a 3.0 device. I do it all the time, as that's the only real way to test if your app built for 2.2.1 works on 3.0 devices.

6. boyplunder macrumors regular

boyplunder

It should, but it doesn't always. An app I am currently working on does something slightly differently when moving from a list view to a details view. In 2.2.1, the background image on the detail view starts underneath the status bar, but underneath the navbar in 3.0. that's a 44 pixel difference.

'Should' doesn't mean it will. I have a poster on my wall that says, 'Don't assume.'

7. Delirium39 macrumors regular

Let me clarify my original statement. I'm not saying there won't be 3.0 oddities. I had a few 3.0 issues I had to adjust for myself. I'm just trying to point out that you can run a 2.2.1 build on a 3.0 device.

8. admanimal macrumors 68040

What you are saying is that your app has a bug when run on a certain OS. However the app still technically executes regardless of which OS you choose to compile it for, which was Delirium's point.

9. amalshah71 thread starter macrumors member

alright....so it seems that a 2.2.1 code will work on 3.0 device(with some issues here and there)....but will a 2.2.1 code built with 2.2.1 SDK work on 3.0 device...

because i am just not able to install app on device...it says "No provisioned iPhone OS device is connected"...i am using 2.2.1 SDK to do this on a 3.0 device...

amal

10. Troglodyte macrumors member

Code compiled with an older SDK will run on a newer device but you can't use an old version of xcode to install on a newer device. You need to upgrade to a newer version of xcode. You will then be able to compile against SDK 2.2.1 and install it on a 3.0 development device.

Your problem is purely that you are using a device OS that your copy of xcode knows nothing about. The choice of SDK you are compiling against is irrelevant.