2.2 defiantly affects screen brightness

TwoBytes

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
i noticed that my screen is darker. My friend didn't update so before his phone i checked and we both noticed after the update his phone brightness was darker too. We've both had to increase our brightness level....maybe the dimmer sensors are calibrated differently after this update...

yegon

macrumors 68030
Oct 20, 2007
Mine seemed noticably dimmer too. Not fussed though, previously I only ever used it <33% brightness anyway.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
updating now, there's actually a progression bar under the apple on the iPhone's screen, always been there during updates?
if it is indeed true that the brightness is lower now, I suppose it's because of the people complaining about poor battery life without actually lowering the brightness, now everyone or maybe not, will say how much better the battery life is with 2.2 :)
UPDATE: how can yours be dimmer,people? finished the update and mine is brighter, I usually keep between 1/10 and 1/5 and now it's 1/2..too damn bright

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2008
It is dimmer because 2.2 resets your brightness setting to a particular point. To fix it, just go in and adjust your brightness control.

yegon

macrumors 68030
Oct 20, 2007
It is dimmer because 2.2 resets your brightness setting to a particular point. To fix it, just go in and adjust your brightness control.
It resets the bar to 50% certainly. However, it does seem a little dimmer at the point where I usually have it set - just below the B above the bar. I now have it set slightly to the right of that.

Complete non-issue though, since I never use it above 50% anyway.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
it does seem dimmer now that I leveled it how I used to..
How does it usually work, does it backup,cancel everything and kinda restore from a newer FW or just updates without canceling anything?

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
It resets the bar to 50% certainly. However, it does seem a little dimmer at the point where I usually have it set - just below the B above the bar. I now have it set slightly to the right of that.

Complete non-issue though, since I never use it above 50% anyway.
Same here. I always thought it didn't adjust to be dim enough in low light conditions. Maybe this has been improved.

Amsco

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Mine only affected it when I turned it on for the first time, but that's because it reverts it to middle level, you have to go into settings and manually raise it.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Totally agreed.
I was in my room without a light on and my iPhone was updating.
When it finished it was amazingly dark!
I had to turn it back up!

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
So when I slide to unlock, its dark, and then as soon as I do something on the screen... wait about 2 seconds, and it brightens up.

Wow this is ugly, inconvenient, and annoying.

*sigh*

Never mind I'm a tool. I turned the autobrightness option off.