2.2 gHz MB Santa Rose Audio "click\pop" issue... it's BACK!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bella92108, Nov 9, 2007.

1. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Gosh, seems just yesterday I was pissin and moaning about my MB 2.0 C2D and how when Apple updated to 10.4.9 the sound card got screwed up and after inactivity the external speakers would click and pop as the sound output turned on and off. Luckily Apple realized they screwed up and patched it almost immediately.

Low and behold last night I went out and picked up a MacBook C2D 2.2 gHz Santa Rosa version and what's back, the sound cracking and popping! It's annoying as hell, after a couple minutes of sound silence (with external speakers plugged in) the speakers go "POP" and then silence, then when there is a sound the speakers go "POP" then you hear the sound. The symptoms and cause is the SAME as it was prior when they released that bug fix.

Am I alone here or are there others? Anyone know if there might be a way I can patch this annoyance?

Thanks!

2. ratspg macrumors regular

saaaame problem

I just bought a MB SR 2.0ghz and when the audio is inactive for a bit and then I try and play something I get this quick "pop".

Hope its fixed soon because I wouldn't expect a new machine to work like this.

3. ben/jegek macrumors newbie

one more

I got a santa rosa mbp 2.2 when they came out, and never had this issue. now that i've upgraded to leopard i'm noticing it for the first time.

4. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

My thinking is that somehow the way we upgraded the patch from 10.4.10 v1 didn't apply correctly. The problem is Apple won't allow that Apple Audio Patch 1.1 to be applied in Leopard. So I believe it's safe to say we're screwed. I'm guessing this hasn't been more widespread yet because it only occurs with headphones or external speakers, so during normal operation one wouldn't notice it.

It's annoying as hell tho! I just have to keep SOME kind of music playing through my speakers at all times so I don't hear the POP on and POP off of the sound card.

Apple, FIX IT!

5. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I've had my SR Blackbook for 3 days and it's been popping on me every day. Very disappointing. :(

6. sine-nomine macrumors regular

The same thing happens to me on my G3 iBook since 10.4.10. I was hoping 10.4.11 would help, but nope.

7. husJAF macrumors newbie

same thing is happening to my mbp2.2, 3 months old and seems just to have started now...:(

8. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Did you recently upgrade to Leopard?

9. husJAF macrumors newbie

no still running tiger, even noticed it in winXP SP2 via bootcamp!

10. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Really? I thought it was just a Leopard issue, in fact I saw on Apple's forums that there was actually a software update that fixed the pop in Tiger.

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

its been poppin' and lockin' since the 2nd Gen MBP. Mine still does it, even though supposedly they patched it in Tiger. Especially noticeable with headphones directly plugged into the MBP.

12. husJAF macrumors newbie

i'll try those software patches and report back here, where can I find them?

13. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Crap, I got a used MacBook Pro and it's doing this. Is there any solution to this problem?

EDIT: I should mention, this is a non-Santa Rosa machine.

14. viqas macrumors member

15. macdim macrumors 6502

Mine pops as well after not having anything playing for a while. It's as if the audio chip is deactivated when there is no input. When it is activated again, it pops.

16. obilix macrumors member

Potential Sol'n

I had the same problem and it is now gone.

I posted a potential solution over on the apple discussions board, i'll paste it here:

17. husJAF macrumors newbie

I tried your suggestion on changing Audio MIDI Setup settings but the 'pop' is still there :(
    Any other suggestions?

18. obilix macrumors member

Ah sigh, I was really hoping that it had to do with the audio settings.
    I believe I did something similar back in the 10.4.8-9 days and the popping vanished then too.

Are you willing to try to install the Perian plugin?
    That seems to be only other thing that i did for the pop to vanish.

I wonder if I'm missing something. Looking in my /Library/QuickTime directory, I seem to have a large number of plugins. But Perian was the last one to be installed when the popping stopped.

Anyways, good luck in finding a solution! Let us know if do find something.