2.2 GHz MB v. 2.2 GHz MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnthonyCM, Jan 16, 2008.

1. AnthonyCM macrumors regular

I'll begin by saying that since the MBP is way overdue for an update, and a laptop isn't a necessity at this time, I will probably wait to see if something new comes out in the next few weeks.

Having said that, if I did decide to get a new laptop now, with the exception of screen size, what would the difference be between a low-end MBP and the higher end MB? I'd get 2 GB of RAM which ever laptop I'd get, and the hard drive would also be the same size (250 GB).

Also, what is the difference between a 2.2 GHz and 2.4 GHz? What applications would have a noticeable difference?

I'm leaning towards the MBP now after not being able to make a decision between the black or white MB.

2. Lyshen macrumors 6502

One major difference is integrated graphics (Intel X3100) on the MB vs discrete graphics (Nvidia 8600GT) on the MBP.

2.2 GHz vs 2.4 GHz, not much for daily use like word processing or web browsing. But for encoding, it will show here and there (a little faster to finish the jobs).

3. David G. macrumors 6502a

Glossy screen vs. option of matte or glossy on MBP
    Backlit screen on MBP
    Backlit keyboard on MBP
    HDD accessibility easier on MacBook.
    If you get the MacBook do not get extra RAM from :apple:. Too expensive.

4. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

The difference is the video card. The MBP has an 8600m GT and the MB has an Intel x3100. The 8600m GT is great for the latest games or anything that's 3D intensive.

You'll notice a difference between 2.2 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz in anything that's CPU intensive, such as games, encoding, and large calculations (like math programs if you do that). You may see a bit of an increase in speed when applying filters in Photoshop.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

In calculations and encoding and filters, yes, games, marginal at best. Maybe at best 5 FPS increase.

6. Lyshen macrumors 6502

As ayeying says, games is marginal at best... games for the most part are bottle-necked by the graphics card, not the CPU. You'd get more FPS by overclocking the GPU than by getting a .2 GHz faster CPU.

Although mind you, overclocking the GPU on any laptop is not that great of an idea. (Heat issues)

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Overclocking in laptops are possible, however, they're not recommended even by advanced users. You can maybe get 1-5% increase for stable, or 10% increase for mildly stable card. Heat... well, I haven't personally seen an heat increase in the laptop cards I used to overclock, but stability does drop rapidly. Unless you can survive playing a game that crashes the vid card every hour, then, go right ahead and overclock it.

Note, you do void warranty if you overclock and break it. And life for the GPU is shorten also if improper cooling or no additional cooling is applied.