2.2 is great, now all we need is a custom word list for auto correction

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M. Malone, Nov 21, 2008.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

2.2 is another step in the right direction. being able to disable Auto correction is nice for some people, I really hope the next step would have the custom wordlist added by users so the iPhone can learn them.

I have so many words I would like to add and some I'd like to modify, for example:

when I type hell the iPhone tries to correct it to "he'll"

I would change it so hell stays as is, but if I type "hel" and hit space then it would substitute he'll, or shel for she'll.

I know the blackberry pearl had this feature and this is desperately needed in the iPhone

2. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i agree 100%.

it would also be nice to add swear words...
    :cool:

3. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

4. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

You guys have to stop complaining.

You say you want the option for auto-correct, you have it. Now, you're probably realizing it's taking you twice as long to type something correctly, and now you want Apple to make a custom list catered to word and swear words you use?

Get outta here.

5. Ashyukun macrumors 6502

I thought that you already had (close to) the capability to do this... I remember reading that if you canceled out the auto-correct suggestion for something three times that it would learn the word and at least not try and autocorrect it. Don't remember if it would start suggesting the word though...

6. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

It doesn't do that. Even if they said it does -- it doesn't. I still cannot type the word "yo" to this day without it being changed to "to."

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

What we don't need is a separate thread for every feature people want.

8. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

The problem is that Apple seems to be repeatedly adopting the wrong solution for a problem they created in the first place.

99% mobile phones with predictive text have an option to use either predictive or abc standard. So you can go from Spanish, English, ABC, 123 by pressing a key.

Now, the iPhone has keyboards for each language they support. What if you need to write in a different language? before 2.2 you just couldn't or it was a REAL pain in the b*tt.

Now you can turn off correction. But you turn off correction ALL THE TIME.
    Why didn't Apple add a "ABC without autocorrection" keyboard layout? That way you could cycle through English, Spanish, German, ABC if you damn well needed to.

Now, either on or off.

In Spain it's a REAL pain in those regions where Spanish is official with another different language. So people have to chose between using the spanish dictionary and not being able to write text in catalan or euskara, OR, turn off dictionary altogether, for both spanish and catalan.

Plus, having a list of auto correction words is a good idea, because for any other language apart from English, the dictionary is lacking big time (it's good and improves with every update - but the english one is still at least twice as good as any other language dictionary on the iphone.

9. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Why do we have to get out of here.

That would be an awesome feature to have the iPhone learn words we use.

Loved it on my two Blackberries.

10. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Yah actually it does. I have a habit of swearing in text messages a lot, and my phone quickly learned what I meant when I typed fuc_, or shi_. It also learned the word Frusciante (because I'm a RHCP/John Frusciante nut) - it tried to change fuc_ to Frusciante once.

11. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I'm not sure where the complaining is. As mentioned, 2.2 is a step in the right direction. Just because someone makes a suggestion about a phone that's still developing doesn't mean he's complaining. I'm happy the iPhone is perfect for you though. :rolleyes:

12. Aephel macrumors newbie

Here is a quick fix I found, refer to my thread.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=605205&highlight=custom+word+list