2.2 or 2.3Ghz --- SSD or 7200rpm

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dnlt, Feb 26, 2011.

1. dnlt macrumors newbie

First of all I want to apologize if this topic has been already posted! Anyway, this will be my first mac and I am really bad when it comes to parts. I will be taking computer science courses in the fall and I am currently doing Photoshop as well. I wondering which options should I take for future uses!...

1) Is there a significant difference from the 2.2 to 2.3Ghz when it comes to programming/photoshop?

2) Should I get the 7200rpm and buy a SSD off newegg or a 3rd party and try to install it myself?

3) is it possible to have a HDD and a SDD in a MBP?

Any help is appreciated :]

2. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

1. 2.2 - 2.3 is really not a deal breaker.
    2. Buy from newegg - don't upgrade via Apple.
    3. You "can" remove the SuperDrive to place another HDD...others have done so. If you want to - go for it. ;)

3. hfletcher macrumors 6502

hfletcher

The difference between 2.2 and 2.3ghz is minimal. I'd save the money and go for 2.2
    As for the hard drive, 7200rpm is faster than 5400rpm. You could buy a 3rd party SSD, but opening up the unibody MBP's is more difficult, as you have to remove the whole bottom shell. I think there are guides on websites like iFixit.
    It isn't possible to have 2 2.5" drives in your mac, but it is possible to convert your CD drive into another hard drive bay. Though you need to buy a converter (some company sell them somewhere)

Edit: ZZANG you got there first!

4. simsaladimbamba

1. No.
    2. You can. I use an SSD as boot drive and would never go back to an HDD to launch Mac OS X or applications. It is much faster.
    3. Yes, search for numerous threads about "OptiBay" via MRoogle.
    http://www.mcetech.com/

5. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I agree with everything unless you're going to buy a 128GB SSD. On the model you're looking at the 128GB SSD is $100 ($90 with student discount), that's a great price.

6. dnlt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the answers! I forgot to ask... if I remove the super drive, will it void apple warranty?

7. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

Yea...it will from what I know.

Also, if you plan on upgrading the ram - NEVER buy from Apple. I recommend crucial.com - 8 gig ram around 100 bucks. ;)

8. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Technically it does so be careful when you do and keep the superdrive. If you ever need repairs, replace it before you take it in.

9. dnlt thread starter macrumors newbie

10. zippys macrumors member

Remember, dont only look at the size of the SSD to denote the quality of it. SSD read/write speeds (what defines a good or bad SSD) vary widely between manufacturers. A cheap 128 GB SSD most likely has terrible read/write speeds. I dont know the speed of the SSD bought through Apple so maybe someone can post those (im too lazy to look).

11. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

Just wanted to say I had a hybrid SSD/HHD and way cheaper and did wonders for OSX.

12. zippys macrumors member

I agree that combo is crazy fast compared to just an HHD. BTW, I just looked up the details of the new 128 GB SSD in the new MBP.

Write: 210.5 MB/s
    Read:260.1 MB/s

These are decent speeds. OCZ just announced new SSD's (available in 1-2 weeks) which will reach

Write: 525 MB/s
    Read: 550 MB/s

I don't know the cost of these yet though. http://www.storagereview.com/ocz_vertex_3_review_240gb (There is a 128 GB version)

13. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

The thing is - as much as I utilize cloud storage and find in most general reasons that the HDD itself is moot... I still can't find myself enjoying the CHOICE to have a larger capacity HDD at a reasonable cost. SSD itself is great - just lame prices. Get a Hybrid HDD...

14. dnlt thread starter macrumors newbie

damn... Now I don't know if I should get the 7200 rpm and wait to buy the vertex or just go for the 128gb ssd from apple :[

15. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Do you have a source on this part? I've been trying to find this out myself. If this is true, then these numbers are better than expected. What model are they using? If true, then I definitely feel better about my $90 upgrade, lol. I was thinking more around 200 read and 170 write based on comparisons I've seen on previous Apple SSD. Your numbers are over 3 times faster than my current HDD. Now I'm really stoked about this!

This drive was just going to tide me over until I can get a faster, larger one next year. But if I install my old 500GB drive into this system, which I'm pondering, and this SSD is fast, then I might hold out even longer, say autumn 2012. Besides, I can blow all my money then anyway because isn't the world supposed to end? Lol.

16. darwin022 macrumors regular

1) Probably not much, but there should be benchmarks out there. The $250 can be much better spent towards an SSD and RAM. Intel reports that the turbo boost or whatever they're calling it is still only 100MHz off at peak. Spend the cash elsewhere.
    2) Do some research and figure out what the best size, performance, and price point fits you. I'd recommend getting at least a 120GB SSD if you're only booting from it, and move to 3)
    3) Yes, 2 internal 2.5" drives are easy to install. Maxupgrades.com and macsalses.com both have mount kits. Maxupgrades is a nicer CNC machined aluminum bracket, OWC's is cast. Either way, it's going inside your machine and you won't see it between installing it and selling your machine. Get a nice big cheap spinny drive to complement your fast SSD.

17. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

i just noticed that the 13" dont offer a 7200 hd....heat issues?

18. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

19. zippys macrumors member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1091789&page=6 Post #137. Post #152 also confirms it. I would really think about waiting for these new OCZ Vertex 3 SSD's if you want crazy fast speeds. I haven't seen the pricing but I'm assuming it will be around $300 since most, good 128 GB SSDs are ~$250. It depends if you want to spend that much money ($300 - $90 apple upgrade).

20. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I might next year, but how much would a 256GB cost? I'm already worried that 128GB might not cut it, unless I end up doing something like the optibay, which I've been backing off of lately. Thinking about just getting a little 1TB external bus-powered drive instead. $99 at BB. I already have a collection of externals at home around 3TB, so it's not like I'm not used to managing data. 128GB should be enough for most assignments throughout the semester, and then afterwords I can copy them over onto my externals.

How good would a 64GB SD card work as overflow storage?

21. mac jones macrumors 68040

I tink this may be a good idea. I have a number of OCZ SSDs and they are good. These new specs look great also.

Worth the wait. But i'm think more like 3 weeks (On the safe side)

22. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I was thinking about this again, and isn't the MBA a blade-style SSD? Could that make a difference? Then the other guy posted that his machine was an ultimate 13" or something like that. Hopefully the new MBP and not the top-of-the-line 13" MBA?

If anyone else with an SSD on a new MBP could chime in, I'd appreciate it?