2.2 SR MBP gets horrible battery life in XP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tacos!, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Tacos! macrumors member

Hi guys,
    When I boot into XP, I get horrible battery life, and my fans are constantly running. I was wondering if you guys know of any mods/programs/undervolting tricks you can do to make me have a better battery life, and to also make my laptop fans run normally, and to make it so it is comfortable on my lap, and doesn't burn me.

Thanks!
    Justin

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Use Notebook Hardware Control. It's pretty much the standard power management program for Windows laptops. As a matter of fact, I'm looking for an equivalent in OS X, and haven't found one yet.

3. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Where and how do you find that? I've been looking around for notebook features on the thing...

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's a separate program, but it's freeware: http://www.pbus-167.com/ I've used it for years on my Gateways. You can basically throttle to half of your core speeds, and have the computer throttle up as needed. It's great for extending battery life (along with dimming the screen of course).

5. feyn-man macrumors regular

OSX don't need it I think. OSX will do the job best.

6. brettanderson macrumors member

Notebook hardware control wasn't working on the MBP last time I checked (it couldn't control the fans and didn't really throttle the CPU) has the program been updated? or does it work with leopard now?

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd prefer a separate program, instead of putting all my faith (and battery life) in OS X. :^)