2.2 update..will it delete my music?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Spiderman1490, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Spiderman1490 macrumors newbie

i have the older versian of the ipod touch 8G and all the updates up to the one that costed me 10$ where fine with my music...and when i got the 10$ update it pretty much erased my ipod! i didn't have anything on it...it was like a new ipod with the latest update...and i couldn't ever get the music back..i don't keep my music in itunes...i keep it all on my ipod. i have a program called touch copy that i can copy my music to the computer but thats not working either...it's saying it can't read my ipod content?? and i don't wana update to 2.2 till i'm sure i'll still have my 1400 songs..lol please let me know what to do :confused:

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414 says if upgrading from 1.x to 2.0 or later will cause a backup, erase, and restore process on the iPod touch/iPhone (See section titled "Updating your iPhone and iPod touch to iPhone software 2.0 or later for the first time"). According to it, it also says that iTunes will offer to create a backup of the media on the touch/iPhone when you perform the upgrade. My iPod touch came with 2.2 so someone else who upgraded from 1 to 2.2 as you're planning may have more info to proceed with.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't think the backup backs up music / videos, since iTunes is based on the assumption that music & videos exist on the computer, and the copies on the iPod are temporary copies. So any music that is on the iPod but not on the computer would have to be copied off the iPod before applying any update that wipes the iPod, or it would be gone forever. But as far as I can remember, only major updates, like 1.x to 2.x, wipes the iPod. So for instance, 2.0 to 2.2 shouldn't wipe the iPod. But I'd copy the music before applying the update, just to be safe.