2 20" ACD's + Intous4 or Cintiq: Need Help!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bntz313, Jul 16, 2009.

1. bntz313 macrumors 6502

Okay. So I was planing on getting a cintiq 12wx and had my heart set on it, but now I ran into a deal for 2 20" ACD's for 450 and then I'll buy the intuos4 large.

or

Buy the cintiq 12wx and thats it.

I do a lot of photo editing and use the tablet often but, do not really do much Illustration. I really like the idea of drawing on screen, but the two display's would be awesome for my work and school.

I was wondering if it was worth it. Are the ACD nice? right now I have one 2009wfp 20" dell ultrasharp monitor will they be nicer display than that?

or should I go with what I had my heart on even though I could do with a nice intuos4 large.

2. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Well if you dont need the tablet now buy the cinema displays and wait a few weeks to buy the tablet you really want.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

DEFINITELY get the monitors and the tablet.

I have dual 24" monitors with an Intuos4 medium... First, I would never give up two monitors for one, and second, I've found it's not as hard as I thought to become accustomed to not looking at where you're drawing.

Where're you getting these 20"s, if I might ask?

4. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

craigslist.

I already have a wacom intuos2 6x9 but would like a widescreen one!

Are the ACD's nice monitors?

5. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I have a cintiq and its awesome. since it functions as a monitor 2 monitors are not necessary. The brightness of it can be an issue, but it just takes some getting used to. its a great device.

The intuos 4 medium is most excellent, which is also awesome for portability. toss it in a backpack with your laptop and your gtg.

its a hard decision. plus craigs list can be a bit shady. make sure you test the monitors first to see if they work. hook it up as a second monitor to a laptop or something. also make sure there is no dead pixels. kind of suck to come home and find out they dont work. then you have no money and no monitors and no cintiq.

usually the if its to good to be true it probably is holds true. im not saying dont do it. just proceed with extreme caution.

6. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

The guy is coming to my house with the monitors and I'm gonna hook them up to my laptop.

I would get the intuos4 large tablet instead.

The monitors are 3years old also. How long do these last for?

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

That's a damn good price for ACD's especially if they include the box and don't have any damage on them.

Three years is on the high side but I wouldn't worry too much. I've seen Apple's old school Studio displays that were bought on release date still work today.

8. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

An LCD monitor should last longer then a computer IMO, especially an ACD (Somebody correct me if I am wrong on Apple's build quality on these).

9. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm think I'm gonna go with the monitors and the intuos4.

How are the intuos4 compared to my old intous2..anyone?

10. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so the guy came over I plugged them in and then did the pixel test using piXel check.

Everything was good! These monitors are REALLY nice! they are so clear compared to my dell 2009wfp ultrasharp.

now, I'm gonna buy me a intuos4 and call it a day!

11. thebrain74 macrumors regular

I just thought that I would let you know that I recently upgraded from an Intuos3 6x8 to an Intuos4 medium. To put simply, they are a different class of device. The intuos4 is downright sexy. It actually feels like a pencil on paper when using it (instead of the slippery intuos3), the OLEDs are great and the touchring is vastly superior to the strips. It also seems like it is lighter. The intuos4's included nibs are very nice to get stock as well. Since you are coming from an Intuos2, I bet the difference would be even greater. The actual widescreen aspect ratio of the new tablet is invaluable. Its so nice to have a circle actually be a circle and not an oval.

I actually looked looked into the Intuos4 large, but it is 12''x18'' which really wont fit in any bag that I would want to carry. So I went with the Medium is is about an inch less in width and height than my 17'' AG MacBook Pro, so it is a nice portable package.

One last thing, the removable cord is also great, because if it breaks (or a dog chews on it) it is easily replaceable, and second you can replace it with whatever length cable you want (maybe a long one for the desktop and a shorty for on the road). It is just a mini-USB cable.

Ok, my Intuos4 commercial is done. Its just a really great device.

12. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

Bought

Here is the monitor setup I'm gonna have running.

Just need to find a graphics card to run all three!
    in landscape or triangle style!

Here they are, I needed up paying 225 one one or 450 for both:D
    [​IMG]

13. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Looks awesome.:D

Have you considered a TripleHead2Go instead of another graphics card to power both monitors (needs a dual-link DVI for those resolutions, AFAIK)