$2,200 Macpro? Windows user going to Apple :-)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TexasPancake, Aug 15, 2008.

1. TexasPancake macrumors newbie

So I've finally made the decision to convert, and I'm excited to make the switch! Originally I was thinking about waiting for the laptop refresh due in September, but I realized that I don't really need to travel much and could use the extra horsepower for photo and video work.

Came across this deal, what do y'all think? Thanks so much for any help and input!

2008 Mac Pro
    Intel 3 Ghz Quadx2 8-cores total
    1 GB RAM 667 mHz
    160 Gb Hard Drive
    NiVidia GeForce 7300GT PCI card
    Pioneer DVD-RW
    Airport card

I have the serial number and it's within warranty (purchased April 2008) and I am eligible to extend Applecare. I'm planning on upgrading memory and HDD.

Is this a good deal?

Should I reconsider and still wait for a the new notebooks?

I've noticed a lot of notebooks on eBay that come loaded with amazing amounts of software (complete with disks: Adobe everything, Final Cut Pro Suite, Office 2008...) -- will that be available for the new gen at a value (always wondered how those sellers worked that out)?

Thanks again -- very excited to make the switch :)

2. iMacmatician macrumors 601

The current Mac Pro gives you:

1 2.8 GHz quad-core (about as fast as 1 3.0 GHz previous-generation quad-core, 2 quad-cores cost an extra $500)
    2 GB 800 MHz RAM
    250 GB HD
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
    DVD burner
    AirPort Extreme

for $2,349. In other words, it's better in every way besides the processor for just $149 more. And for photo/video work I'd recommend upgrading the RAM and HD.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You should look at the 24" iMac for what you want to do. I don't think many people can possibly use the power that a Mac Pro has.

4. CarlosG macrumors member

Are you sure that this computer is a 2008 model? I thought they came with 2GB RAM as minimum and 320GB HDD minimum. I also don't recognise that graphics card from the choices of the 2008 machines. Just check into that.

I have a 2008 Mac Pro and I must say that it really is a potent machine. I'm very pleased with it.

It is just a shame that the programs I am using (in Windows) aren't very good at using anything more than two cores at once.

If the price is right get it.

Also, consider an iMac. I played with my mate's new iMac and it really is a powerful machine. It keeps-up well with the Mac Pro most of the time, it only really lags when you set away a serious calculation (CFD analysis.)

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I would buy it if you need the power and have the money.

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It's not a 2008 machine, it's the 2007 8 core. It's still a good deal though.

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Unless you're a professional you really don't need a Mac Pro. Just go to the Apple store and feel all the power behind an iMac. It's a magically powerful machine.

8. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

it is a good deal but remember you need a monitor with it too, besides you could resell it for probably even more if you don't like it.

9. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Everyday will become a pleasure...

Congratulations on the switch...you won't regret it!

10. TexasPancake thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the helpful responses everyone!

iMacmatician, great assessment. The computer I'm looking at was bought in 2008, but since it's a re-furb, it really is a 2007 model. I delayed the sale until Monday so I'll do some research on the differences. Any quick advice on if the 2008 specs are totally superior to the 2007 specs?

Also saw in the buyers guide that MacPros are due for a refresh. I though they weren't coming until January? Any insights?

Thanks so much for the great input!

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Hi, I'd just like to know why you need a Mac Pro. Is it because you're used to towers in the PC world? An iMac will be more than enough for 100% of all home users unless you do a lot of high end professional media work for a living. Final Cut, Aperture and Logic all run perfectly on any iMac built in the last two years, so it's doubtful that you need all the power in a Mac Pro.

12. iMacmatician macrumors 601

The Buyer's Guide is basically an average of past releases. Apple doesn't always follow the average.

I'd say January is a good estimate, given that the Nehalem CPUs are coming late this year.

13. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You can get used versions of the 2.8GHz 8 core for around $2200-$2300 if you aren't in a rush. They will perform similar to the system you listed, but you will get the larger hard drive, better graphics card and more memory as well as the other changes. I only mention it as you are happy to buy used and any system you get will still be in warranty. Better alternative than the quad core new.

Oh and the software thing is piracy plain and simple.

14. TexasPancake thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm looking into a Macpro b/c I work with Video editing on a regular basis (~8 hours a week). Nothing too crazy from a rendering standpoint, but b/c this will be my primary computer for 2-3 years I figure it would make sense to future-proof.

A MBP is still in contention for the fact that the new line may be enough, and the new generation might release some great updates...

Regarding the software, I reached out to some of the aforementioned sellers and it looks like they have volume licenses that they are allowed to resell when included with notebooks. Serials and everything, so looks to be legit.

Thanks again, and keep kindly the suggestions coming :)

15. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

No matter what they say, if they are basically giving the software away for free it's pirated.

16. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

If people are loading out MacBooks & Macpros with adode suites & Microsoft FREE & Including them in the deal RUN, Don't walk AWAY AS FAST AS POSSIBLE, SCAM.
    There are no deals aDOBE GIVES TO ANYONE & THEY BUST EBAYERS ALL DAY TRYING TO SELL THESE BOOTLEG SOFTWARE PACKAGES.
    Pass it on.
    They'll send discs allright. Not Legal in any way shape or form.
    Good Luck.

17. belunos macrumors member

Just to reiterate what others are saying, volume license keys are never resalable. Those keys are bought by usually by enterprises as an umbrella license to install on multiple systems, but almost always they state that you can't resell them.

18. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

19. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Its going to cost quite a lot to upgrade that to a decent machine. The processors are fine, but of course in Apple style they give you a rather poor amount of RAM, hard drive space, and graphics performance, which is good for me since I can then do it myself for less money. To be honest I'd pick up a top of the line iMac instead of that. 8 cores is quite pointless unless you can put them to use.

Not to mention of course you get a much more modern architecture, a gorgeous screen, better graphics, more RAM, more hard drive space, a webcam, microphone, etc. etc.