2) 23" ACD or 30" ACD - what is best way to go?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jeff602, Dec 4, 2007.

1. jeff602 macrumors newbie

I have the chance to get 2) 23" Apple Cinema displays or one 30" ACD. I will be connecting it/them to my first generation 15" Macbook Pro. Any advice on what will be the best solution? The cost is about the same.

Thanks for helping a 15 year Windows guy with his first Mac.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

not sure you can connect 2 external monitors to the Mbp so 30" soundls like best option.

3. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Get the 30 inch screen it's amazing!!

Very sharp, excellent color and really bright.

4. jeff602 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess a splitter would just show the same thing on each display. So the 30" would be best.

Thanks

5. palmerized macrumors regular

Ya - def the 30" IMO. Even though you'd get more total pixels from two 23" displays, I'd still prefer one massive one. Guess it's personal preference.

6. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

I think it is probably personal preference. I've only used a 30" myself (for one lucky week at work while my boss' Mac was in the shop), but I have seen many setup shots of video pros with dual 23" and have even seen some of them swear by them on these forums.

Anyone actually know if there is a way to hook up two monitors to the MBPs? the card supports the resolution, it just doesn't have the proper outputs.

7. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

8. cxc macrumors member

If you are serious about accurate color reproduction, homogenous lighting and grey scale resolution the 30" is the one to get. It is the clearly superior device. The 23"in display is too expensive considering it´s a middle of the road monitor (with great design)

9. Tracer macrumors 6502

Once you use the resolution of the 30 incher, you won't realize how you ever used anything else.

Tracer

10. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

I agree that the 30" is the way to go but NOT because the 23" is "too expensive considering it's a middle of the road monitor."

Hear this:

Both the Apple 23" and the 30" are at the TOP of their games. Yes they cost more. BUT both also use a very superior S-IPS panel. They both have SWOP certification. They both have very finely tuned and well built C-LUTS. There are FEW monitors out there in the 23", 24" and 30" sizes that come close to any of these two macs.

I am in the process of buying a new monitor right now myself. I would go with the 30" -- two 23" are nice but the bevel and lower resolution really get in the way. The 30" is a great way to go. Then when you get a desktop you can put a 23" beside it and have a very sweet setup.

I can HONESTLY say that I have spent 6 hours researching monitors during the past 48 hours and probably 20 hours over the past two years.

The only 30" that comes close to the ACD is the HP LP3065 or the newer Dell 30" high gamut.

In the 23" or 24" areas (really these are both the same) the HP Smart Buy, the Dell 27 and the Dell 24, as well as a higher end Samsung Panel (PVA) are contenders but again, the 23" APPLE is at the TOP of its game even compared to these contenders.

Before you flame me back, really do the work and the research -- compare specs and prices -- and you will learn the truth about monitors: newer does not mean better given the current state of technology.