2 23" ACDs on Mac Pro only one firewire 400 connection on the back

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kalex, May 4, 2008.

1. kalex macrumors 65816

I just picked up a second 23" ACD for my mac pro and ran into a small problem.

there is only one firewire 400 connection on the back and its already connected to my first ACD. for those of you who have 2 ACDs how to do connect both firewire cables to the Mac Pro?

thanks

Alex

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

They probably don't connect the second one. Do you need the firewire ports active on both displays? Because the Firewire cable only needs to be plugged in to use the Firewire port on the back of the display.

If you do need/want it, you can get FW800->FW400 adapters that will let you plug the display into the Firewire 800 port.

3. jemo07 macrumors regular

Nope!, i don't use either of the FW ports for my 2 ACD's. This is because I rather use the ports on the MP for my external FW drives.

Works for me, hope it helps.

JM

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You could plug it into the one on the other Cinema Display if cable length allows for it. I doubt you'll really ever be using 4 FW 400 devices at any one time, but I bet a few people need to; regardless, you don't need to plug in the firewire.

5. junior77 macrumors regular

If you have the need to plug in the 2nd monitors FW into the macpro, you will have to buy an internal (PCI or PCI-x, not sure) firewire card. I did that with my PMG5.

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I don't think that he'd be able to plug it in, then.

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

how so?

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The USB, FireWire, DVI, and power cables all run through one cable and branch off at the end. If you go by Apple's diagrams, they don't branch soon enough for the DVI to be plugged into the back and the FireWire to be plugged into the front at the same time.

I don't know how accurate the diagrams are, but that's what I'm thinking.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You could use a firewire hub.

I always have only one monitor wired for USB/Firewire on all my Pros.

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Good point i have never owned an apple monitor so i wouldn't know. You could always get an extension.

12. kalex thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks everybody for answers. I guess its true that i won't use 4 devices at a time. so if it comes to it, i can just swap something out.

One more question, is there a slowdown between using a FW400 connection on the Mac Pro vs. using one that is going to the ACD?

thanks

Alex

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No. No slowdown. And just to reiterate what was said above, you can get a simple adapter to plug the 2nd monitor's FW400 cable into the FW800 port on the back of your Mac Pro (though you'd then lose your FW800 port) if you really need 4 FireWire ports up front on your displays.

14. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well if you max out the connection then yes. But if you only have one thing connected to the monitor then it will be full speed. If you have lets say 4 hard drives then yes you won't get the full speed as you could max out the firewire 400.

15. kalex thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for letting me know. i don't have that many devices right now so i'm good and if need be i can always piggy back of the devices.

alex