2 23" cinema displays are WAY off (calibration??)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NO M3RCY, Nov 29, 2007.

1. NO M3RCY macrumors newbie

I am running dual 23 Cinema Displays from my G5 Quad:
    I need them to match, the color is way off between the two, one is warm, the other cool.

I went into the calibration menus but they are still off. any suggestions?

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

3. Halsey12 macrumors regular

The Pantone Huey I bought for like 90 dollars worked great on my 23" ACD. It even made my MBP LED screen almost match the Cinema LCD, which is pretty good considering it's not meant to work on a LED.

Honestly, once you calibrate with a physical calibrator, you wont even believe how you lived before.

4. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Will it take the pink cast out of some of the 23" ACD's? more so around the edges.

5. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

Its simple. The 23" monitors are very low quality.

I had the same issue as you. I had a 23" monitor, and came home 10 months later with a 2nd, expecting computing bliss. However, I quickly realized that my older display turned pink! They pretty much all do. Go to the apple store and check them closely, and you will see it is a very common problem.

I brought the "new" 23" back and had the older 23" fixed by apple then I sold it to a friend (who wasnt that color critical, although even the new panel in it has again turned pinkish) I went with 2 20", then later replaced it all with one 30" which is the most useful of them all.

if you are committed to keeping your 2 screens, then a color spyder calibrator from http://www.colorvision.com/ is your best bet. It clips to the screen, runs for about 10 minutes, and makes very good color profiles that will be consistent across multiple screens/computers.

6. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

The pink has been on mine since the day I got it new. You don't really notice it unless you go looking for it, or relatively bright colours on the edges. That is where you'll see it right away.

7. JabbaII macrumors regular

My 23" is pink around the edges too (turned pink after a year).

Basically if it is pink, it is a defect (or low quality). I don't get people saying that if you don't try to look for it or use bright colors, it is hard to see. The point is that monitors are not suppose to have colors around the edges (even the cheapest ones).

I would recommend getting a replacement if yours is still under warranty.

8. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

The majority of Apple 23's are plagued by it. See in the Apple forums, people have had several replacements with the same problems even after the day they get it new.

Replacements after a long time usually 9/10 times ends up as refurbished units. :/