2.26 - 13MBP - Changing Specs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swamesp, Oct 12, 2009.

1. swamesp macrumors regular

Hello Everybody,

I'm a Mac Rumors reader for about 3-4 months but finally became a member few mins ago.... :)

I've been a PC person for the past 10 years (not a master of PC either)... Now looking to take a plunge into MAC after reading some good reviews of it compared to PC... I know MAC too has issues but would be supported well.... Hope so....

Now coming to the question, after a lot of reading (also by lack of funds) I'm choosing 2.26Ghz, 13" MBP... With this I would like to have 4GB of RAM and minimum of 250GB HDD...

How do I do it?
    1) Should I purchase the accessories and do it by self
    2) Thru apple
    3) some third parties?

Also where to buy (in US)
    1) Online
    2) Apple store

If online, I could see that MacMall is the lowest of all, but I saw few posts saying that not to buy from them.

If the apple care has a international coverage I would buy that too....

Kindly help me on this. Hope I have not asked too many questions.
    Advance thanks...!!!!

PS: Just awaiting for latest updates from Apple if there could be any changes to MBP line, but I could foresee none.

Edit:
    Missed the main details, the work on the MBP would be:
    - Browsing, Mild Photo Editing, Watching movies, Listening songs..etc

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yourself. Its quite easy and this is the most inexpensive route. Plus you get to specifically choose the components, i.e., memory from crucial, or OWC.

Doesn't matter, which ever one you feel like. Apple store = instant gratification.

Yeah avoid macmall, I've not heard too much good from them. They tend to pull the apple memory and put in cheap memory in its place (at least they used too).

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Yes. Depends on how deep your pockets are and how many thumbs you have on at least one hand.

No.

Yes.

Online works for me. You need to evaluate how much sales tax you'll save vs. shipping costs.

No experience with them. I actually order from B&H photo out of New York. No sales tax for me, highly rated and reasonable prices. Been using them for years. Amazon and Newegg work well also.

You have free Applecare for the first year. Wait until month #11 to buy the extra 2 years. If you buy it sooner and damage your macbook yourself, your Applecare is void and wasted.

MBP updates are not likely anytime soon but who knows? There is some buzz about the macbooks (white) about to go through a change though.

4. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

Can I even fix HDD too?

Sure would avoid them....

thanks a lot for the informative reply...

5. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

Ofcourse, I'm confident I could do it if it is not too complex...
    Will this addition void any kind of warranty from apple?

I'm from TN, tax is 10%.... sometimes online stores give tax and shipping free.... Are these websites good for RAM and HDD too?

A very good tip.... will surely do so....

6. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

Few more question on RAM & HDD....
    Will the MBP have a 2 x 1GB RAM or 1x2GB RAM?
    How many slots does Logic board have?
    Can I use the existing RAM?

For the HDD, I think the factory 160GB should be removed out for fixing the new.... Am i correct here?

Looking for about 250GB HDD with 7200rpm..... Hope it should not be costly....

Also kindly recommend few online websites to purchase these accessories.

7. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

Comes with 2x 1GB. There are two slots, both come occupied. If you try to leave one stick in and add a second larger stick you run the risk of getting kernel panics (similar to blue screens of death), but this doesn't always happen either. Also having mismatched ram means you are not taking advantage of dual channel read/write. 250 @ 7200 RPM is cheap! Consider www.newegg.com for component purchases.

8. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I like Amazon. They ship fast, free, and without sales tax(in most states).

RAM.

HD. (I like WD drives)

If you're eligible for Apples student discount, I'd go into an Apple store and buy the MBP. If not, I'd get it from Amazon also since you're paying less than retail AND no sales tax.

9. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

@mrrish,

so I could only sell it or anything that I could do with it.
    I'm currently after lunch so could not think of any..... :D

@angemon89,
    I'm not eligible for student discount as I'm out of that stage, can I use my friends who are currently in some schools....???

thanks to both for the informative tips.

10. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Well I suppose you could use a friend that's in college to buy it for you, as dishonest as that may be...

I'd just get it from Amazon if I were you. It still will come out cheaper than if you went into an Apple store to buy it. About $40 cheaper.

11. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

mmmm, me too thinking of the same... Not to ask friends for this....

I was checking the config details of 13" 2.53 and 2.26... I could see that there are no difference except the RAM & HDD.... Is that correct or am I missing anything?

So I have no other option except to keep the factory RAM and HDD or sell it?

12. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

You can keep the factory RAM and HDD for backup (incase you need to visit apple for any repair)..

If I were you i'd just upgrade the hdd with a 500gb 7200rpm (its just $150) on my own(its very simple...check out www.fixit.com and buy RAM later (as i dont see you will need more RAM)...peace!

ps- i agree with the posts above...buy apple care in the 11th month...it would be worth it as apple repairs are too expensive (~$1000 for LCD or logic board replacement:()

13. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

I already have a E-HDD of 500GB that i'm currently using with my PC so will use the same for MBP too and so i was looking at 320GB@7200rpm.... if both RAM and HDD is within $150 I would do them both at same time. Else only the HDD as you have suggested.

Now I have few other questions:

- After changing H/W and take it to Apple for any repair, does it void the initial one year coverage or Apple care after one year (assuming I have purchased it)

- 13.3 @ Macconnection
    How about this with mail-in-rebate?

As I'm very new to Mac what are the softwares that I should buy?
    Is SL shipped with all new macs? For the photography related softwares I'm planning to look at Craigslist.... What say?

14. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I would say buy at the store or online but buy a standard configuration system. Then if you have problems, you can just get the problematic Mac switched out at the store. With custom order, you cannot return it and it has to be sent in for service.

Good luck and enjoy it!

15. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

I am not discouraging you from asking questions on these forums, but most of these questions can be answered directly from an Apple store. The salesforce is very knowledgeable unlike other tech outlets. Upgrading the memory and HD does not void the warranty, though any accidental damage that results from it WILL void the warranty. I would always call apple support (over the phone) and verify any questions relating to voiding warranties.

16. rnauman821 macrumors member

Buy from apple, buy referb. Purchase your own kit of ram and your own hard drive. You will save money and usually get a slightly higher grade of parts in most instances.

17. Belm macrumors regular

I didn't know that customer order Macs had to be sent in for service. I was planning on getting the same configuration as the OP, 4GB Ram and 250GB HDD. That's good to know. Hopefully I won't have any problems.

I was deciding the same as OP and decided to get a custom order from the Apple Online Store since I can get the Education discount. I would only be saving $100 doing the upgrades myself. I don't want to take the risk of voiding my warranty by making a stupid mistake. I'm sure it's pretty easy to upgrade yourself though.

18. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Usually I would say buy from Newegg...but apparently Newegg stopped carrying apple products. Anyway, buy from Amazon, no sales tax and you know that it is a 100% professional company. As for the HDD/RAM upgrade, buy the parts from Newegg.

There are 1 million forums on here to explain what to buy and how to install it, so please use the search function.

Enjoy your new laptop!

19. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Everybody,
    Now thinking about the Refurbs too..... Thanks for pointing me to that route....
    Will surely take all the valuable inputs that you guys have shared....

Planning to purchase the laptop by this month end....
    Will get back for any other questions....