2.26 or 2.53 Mac Mini For Plex Box???

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Dapness, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Dapness macrumors member

Ok, I'm over dealing with the PS3's unreliable media playback. Even with PS3 Media Server I can't play back half of my Blu-ray rips (Make MKV). Plex on the other hand has NO issues with any of my media.

I'm going to bite the bullet and drop the cheddar on a Mini. Considering I'm going to be watching Blu-ray rips is there any reason I would need the 2.53 Mini or will the entry level option provided me with a flawless presentation. I'm only going to be using it for a Plex box. I've got a Mac Pro to handle everything else.

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The 2.26 should be more than adequate for playback of Blu-ray rips with Plex. You might encounter problems with a few scenes from a few very high bit rate videos. Where you'll take a hit is if you have to concurrently multitask video recording (e.g., Eye TV) or serving up another computer/ATV from it.

3. jonny5009 macrumors member

jonny5009

I just bit the bullet and got the 2.53 to have a plex box. It's working phenomenally and I'm finding myself being super lazy and using it for more than just an HTPC so I'm glad I have more ram and more speed as nominal as it might be.

4. Mrjynx macrumors member

urgh, I`ve been wrestling with this same question, should I grab the mini, and if I do should it be 2.26 or 2.53. I just picked up a 50inch Kuro and I`m so tempted to finish it off with a mac mini as a media centre.

5. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

I use the 2.0 GHZ from the initial 2009 refresh and I've had no problems with it so far with any of my media (do have some blue ray rips)

I suppose I might drop some frames on occasion but I don't ever notice

the 2.26 should be adequate, however if you're planning on running a lot of other apps or anything at the same time and you have $$$$ burning a hole in your pocket you could spring for the higher end, but I truly don't find it necessary

If you check the PLEX forums there are a lot of people happy with the 2.26 or 2.0 (2.0 core 2 duo seems to be the bottom end for satisfied customers though)

6. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

My 2.0ghz 09 mini is running plex, transmission, and my website along with a few other things and it never lags out or anything. I'd think if my 2.0 can do it, a 2.26 would certainly be sufficient.

7. Dapness thread starter macrumors member

I got the 2.26 and everything is working great. MKV Blu-ray rips are smooth as butter. I've seen X-Men, Gladiator, and Transformers via Plex and am thoroughly impressed. I'm streaming my media from my Mac Pro upstairs using gigabit ethernet and haven't had any hiccups. There's a learning curve involved with Plex but it's real slick once you get the basics down. I keep a Macbook Pro in the same room so screen sharing is a real treat. Hulu works 1000 times better than the Apple TV and Netflix is of course a hot app too. All in all, love it so far!!

8. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Did you stick with the 2GB of RAM or up it to 4GB?

9. Dapness thread starter macrumors member

Just 2gb. From what I've read upping it to 4gb won't really do much for you if you're just using it for Plex.

10. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Thanks! Are you using EyeTV or strictly Plex? Wondering if the 4GB would make a difference while recording a show and playing back a file...

11. Dapness thread starter macrumors member

No EyeTv here, just Plex for me.