2.26 vs. 2.53 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kickandglide, Jul 3, 2009.

1. kickandglide macrumors newbie

If you made the 2.26 and 2.53 uMBP 13" the same by upgrading the 2.26's HD and RAM what is going to be the real world difference btwn them? Will the 2.53 really be that much faster? The only application I need to use that may be slightly out of the ordinary is ArcGIS.

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

The speed boost from 2.26 to 2.53 is unnoticeable. Just get the 2.26 to save money.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...the faster CPU will help "future proof" your machine:p

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Don't waste your money for 270MHz, it's unnoticeable.

5. Azrel macrumors regular

Azrel

i made the same decision to go for the slower CPU in the previous gen (2GHz instead of 2.4GHz). I used the money to buy upgrades... maybe there's a difference for very CPU intensive programs or games, but I'm really happy with just 2Ghz!!

6. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

Are you guys crazy? My gf has the 2.26 model and i have the 2.53 we both have 4 gigs ram. My machine starts up in 33 seconds, hers starts up in 42 seconds. Every app i click starts up one bump faster, not sure if its because she has the 160 gb hdd, and i have the 250. But you can definitely notice the difference in speed. Plus, if your going to be using final cut studio, a bigger processor will fit your needs.

Alot of people say that oh, you wouldnt tell the difference between the two, there just numbers. Im letting you know, that I Can tell a difference.

You probably couldnt tell the difference between the 2.23 vs the 2.4 or the 2.4 vs the 2.53 but the 2.23 vs 2.53 you can tell. just my $0.02...

7. doox00 macrumors regular

The difference you notice is not from cpu speed, I would guess your os, programs installed etc, hers is apparantly loading much more then yours in the background or an app is stalling during startup perhaps. hdd size could make a small difference, or perhaps you have a higher rpm hdd as hers as well.

8. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

same rpm and both computers are not even a week old.

9. doox00 macrumors regular

I would wipe her drive and start over then lol.. my core i7 pc is default of 2.67 I have it overclocked to 4ghz and don't notice that much difference :)

10. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

11. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I was considering upgrading to 4GB of RAM in my 2.26, but DAMMM, there looks like there's no point.

Maybe I'll wait until next year to do it...

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Of course it better in benchmarks tests but how about in real life?

13. KB14 macrumors newbie

Kinda OT, but has anyone had trouble finding the 2.53 GHz model in stores? I just visited 2 apple stores and both are out of stock, plus the official site ships them in 7-10 business days! Is that a testament that it is the more popular model?

14. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

I had to go to 3 different apple stores to find my macbook. Ive never had to do that before.

Did I mention, I grabbed the LAST 13" MBP from the third store? Crazy.

15. boston44 macrumors 6502

Seriously? My Apple Store has 10 of each lol. Guess it just depends..

16. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I just started mine up twice using a stop watch from power button to desktop...

27 seconds and 28 seconds... it's a 2.26 with 4gb ram.

I don't think my 2.0 umb took 42 seconds... that seems awfully long to me...

weird.

17. martynmc7 macrumors regular

Surely start-up is not a CPU intensive task, and neither is application launching, so the difference in CPU speed is negligible. Both these tasks are reliant on RAM, HD speed, and the amount of apps and background processes that need to be loaded, so therefore these are not good tests of the differences between 2 CPUs.

18. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

The main reason the get the 2.53, is video encoding speed. I do alot of home video/ DVD encoding for import into itunes, for my iphone. The time of doing multiple encodes is really gonna add up. If you don't care about speed to do such tasks, then go with the 2.26.

19. kickandglide thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all. I went with the 2.26, but 4g ram.

20. jbl macrumors newbie

Not much difference doing what? launching a web browser?

Of course, for everyday tasks, a i7 quad core at 2.67 is already OVERKILL and the only way to accelerate these tasks would be to have a 10k hdd, a ssd or a raid 0 setup because your hdd is probably the weakest link in your setup. Try rendering some complex effects over full hd videos in after effect and playing it back in real time... now you'll see a difference between 2.67ghz and 4ghz... Of course.. if you have 8gb of ram or less, it won't be enough to support your 4ghz of quad core.. it will then slow down the process, whether the cpu is OC'd or not.

There's no point OCing an i7 quad cpu unless you use very intense softwares and you have at least 12gb of ram imo... I'd go with 24gb and work on ssd drives.... that's without taking into consideration your graphic cards (then it depends what you use your machine for)

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Take a loot at the benchmarks. You are talking seconds between the two. I'd go w/ the 2.26 and use the savings to buy more RAM and/or SSD -- things that will truly give you a performance bump.

22. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

You wouldn't notice a difference.

Habitus :apple: