2.26GHz 8 core Mac Pro vs. 2.66GHz 8 core Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Aug 16, 2009.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

No matter how many times I compare and spec out which model to buy, I keep coming back to the 2.66GHz 8 core model (I only want the 8 cores not the quads).

Anyway, just looking at various benches the 2.66GHz looks very close in the results to the 2.93GHz 8 core and turbo boost pushes the 2.66GHz up to 2.93GHz.

I know its $1400 more than the 2.26GHz model but anyone here make the jump from a 2.26GHz to the 2.66GHz (8 cores) and noticed the huge jump in performance?

I just can never shake off the low clock speed of the 2.26GHz even when its turbo boosted up to 2.53GHz with 1 core working.

2. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Never tested it but myself I don't think the extra cost is justified for the extra speed...

3. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

It depends entirely on what you plan to do with your mac pro. In computationally intensive tasks (rendering, hand brake) you will probably feel the 17% clock difference if you work on large projects and have tight time constraints. For almost everything else, the money is better spent on a fast hard drive or SSD, which will increase the "snappyness" of your machine in a much more noticeable way in my opinion....

4. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks guys I just went ahead with the 2.26GHz Mac Pro, I just couldnt justify the $1400 extra. I'm sure the 2.66GHz is a beast on its own but the 2.26GHz is more than enough a beast for me! :D

6. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

7. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

You wont even notice. 17% faster for a single app like handbrake that just sits there and churns hardly justifies the cost difference. Faster at setting up handbrake could make up that difference.

Put in a bunch of ram and a decent raid0 and the machine is perfect.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just went through a day using my new computer; yes it's fast. It's a lot faster than I envisioned; I think it's safe to say it would have been sufficient to buy the 2.26 8-core MP.

I just encoded a movie in 25 minutes a process that usually takes 3 hours on my laptop at the same settings. I think I would have been satisfied saving about $2000 if it meant waiting 10 more minutes.

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm curious. What work will you be doing on your Mac that made you come to the decision of getting the 8 core over a quad ?