2.26Ghz or 2.53Ghz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nyjets19, Jun 13, 2009.

1. nyjets19 macrumors newbie

I am about to buy my first Macbook, and I don't know which one to buy. I can buy the 2.26 and upgrade RAM to 4Gb and upgrade to 320 Gig HDD, for the same price as a 2.53 Ghz with 4 Gb RAM and 250 HDD. Is the 2.53GHz processor worth getting over 2.26? Is there a noticiable difference in the speed for online browsing, games, typing essays etc?

2. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

First off don't you mean $100 less, they would be equal if you went with the 500GB HDD.

Personally I went with the 2.26ghz model and am upgrading it myself with 4GB of RAM and a 500GB WD Scorpio Blue HDD for $150. Apple charges too much for upgrades.

3. a13x macrumors member

Yes, there would be a gaming improvement but the 13" MBP isn't exactly a gamer's dream either. Depends on your needs...if you need the hard drive space, go with it. Personally, I'm impatient so I went with a 2.53GHz with a 128 SSD.

4. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

You probably won't notice a difference in speed between the two processors in "real world applications." It's more cost effective to get the lower model and then upgrade the RAM and HDD yourself.

I like having the faster processor though :cool:

5. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I'm going with the 2.26GHz processor. No real world performance gains in buying the 2.53GHz from the information I've gathered. :)

6. nyjets19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone with other opinions? I want to get my laptop within the next few days and I need to know. Thanks!

7. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

I would get the lower one also. You won't be getting to much of a difference in noticeable speed and the cost savings is well worth it.

8. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

If its all about speed I would say get the highest rated processor you can and then buy as much RAM as you can...

If you need drive space then spend the money on that.

Essentially once you have made the purchase to upgrade the hard drive or the RAM is a simple procedure, the amount of motherboard upgrades are few and far between on any laptop. So if you plan to keep your laptop for sometime then get the best processing power you can afford and when you have more money upgrade the RAM and Hard Drive (Old hard drives can be made into USB drives quite cheaply so your old one won't have to go to waste).

Hope this helps
    :rolleyes::apple:

9. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

Personally, I'd go for the faster processor.

RAM and hard drives can be upgraded later, the processor can't.

10. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

only 5 seconds different when you rendering :p.