2.2Ghz logic board in 2.4Ghz MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by meandmymac, Aug 15, 2011.

1. meandmymac macrumors newbie

what would happen if a logicboard for a 2.2Ghz MBP was put into a 2.4Ghz MBP. what kind of problems would be encountered?

2. intelgrande macrumors member

Is it otherwise the same model MBP? I haven't ripped apart the MBPs so I don't want to definitively say it's fine, but in general computing terms it shouldn't make a difference at all.

3. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

The components probably wouldn't fit... As far as other problems I don't know for sure. But i wouldn't expect no problems when it comes to operating it especially if the other components are older than the logic board, for instance the RAM and SATA cable to the HDD.

4. meandmymac thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm... i had two logicboards die in my machine and the technician who put them in was telling me that i have a 2.2Ghz MBP while actually its a 2.4Ghz so i was wondering if the machine could kill the 2.2Ghz boards. They both lasted 9-10days then they died.
    its a MBP 15" early 2008 model and it turns on but the screen stays black and there is no chime... i have to drive to johannesburg again to get it fixed and i want it to be fixed properly this time (its a 500km ride one way)...

5. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Don't know for sure about this, maybe the battery is the wrong one for that logic board?

6. meandmymac thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't really understand; do you mean that its the wrong battery for the wrong board? because the battery worked wonderfully with the original board for 3years. (in fact I have two batteries which I alternate and both worked great; but the board did die this time when the battery drained fully - if you can help me understand I'd be so grateful!)

7. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

With this post you should take my answer for a grain of salt because I do not know the specific facts about the hardware, I am merely making an educated guess.

I am thinking that Apple supplies the same batteries for their MacBooks with the same power output, so I guess that would mean it shouldn't do anything to the logic board other than maybe drain the battery quicker (since the newer logic boards use more power). I'm not sure which generation logic boards you're referencing (i'm assuming you're meaning the 2.4 core 2 duo and the 2.2 i5/i7).

If the battery has a different power output than what the logic board is made for, you can ruin your board (aka fry it) and/or ruin your battery.

8. meandmymac thread starter macrumors newbie

*Thank you* I understand that this is not more than an educated guess, I just need some sort of direction to understanding this (honestly I feel like the technician is trying to fool me)

the Mac (15" Penryn) is a 2.4Ghz core 2 duo and I can only assume that the replacement board should be an older 2.2Ghz core 2 duo (I was under the impression that the i5/i7 wont work in my machine)