2.2ghz or 2.5ghz 15" Macbook Pro retina help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by S517293, Feb 4, 2015.

1. S517293 macrumors newbie

I am looking to upgrade as I have one of the first Macbook Pro models. I'm not a huge computer hardware guy so I'm not sure exactly what all the specs mean and would like to get input from users not just sales people. I use multiple adobe apps such as illustrator photoshop and indesign along with a few games. Which model would be best I would prefer cheaper but if everything will run significantly faster on the other I'm willing. And also if anyone would know if Apple would come out with updated version this year

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Gaming is your issue

To be honest most modern apps using open CL will be absolutely fine on the base rMBP with the Iris pro graphics. However for gaming you will see a definite benefit of the dedicated GPU in the higher end model as well as a boost to any CUDA enabled apps.

This is not to say you can't game on a base model you can play most older games at reasonable settings and get a decentish frame rate and newer ones at low settings. However if you want to play the latest most demanding titles at better settings and get an ok framerate you need the higher end one with the dGPU (750M).

Also note that that graphics card is also a bit out of date now and has been superceded by some much better mobile GPU's that Apple have yet to utilise, these may well turn up in the next generation.

From your post the base model will be just fine for you, the difference in CPU clockspeed will make very little difference in day to day use and those quad haswell processors are both blisteringly quick.