Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rchip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Hey guys!

Going to put my order in for the updated 15 inch retina pro tomorrow. I'll be using the education store, so it's only £68 to upgrade to the 2.5 processor. What do you think?

I don't expect I'd notice the difference but in a bench mark, but only a couple of days ago these machines were 2ghz base - thinking I can get 2.5ghz for actually less money because of the price drop and with 16gb of ram seems like a very good deal! Or is it just a waste of money?

Apart from all the normal stuff, I use Lightroom for Raw file editing and Garageband for recording guitar/bass and vocals. I know either the 2.2 or 2.5 would be good at it, but for £68 is it worth just getting the 2.5?!

Thanks guys, I know I'm babbling but just want to get my purchase right! The 256 ssd is fine for me, I have a USB 3 LaCie 3tb drive and another drive for back up.

Cheers!

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
The only moment I would buy a Macbook with 0.2-0.3 Ghz more is to maybe get a better resell value (which is in itself really good)

Giev

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2013
The only moment I would buy a Macbook with 0.2-0.3 Ghz more is to maybe get a better resell value (which is in itself really good)

I would say follow this advice if you are changing your laptop quite frequently.

I myself upgrade when its required, i.e when the laptop is reaching its limits (performance wise, or hardware issues etc.) and I would rather customize/optimize the laptop for myself rather than the next buyer.

Unless you do serious CPU intensive task on a regular basis, I wouldn't suggest spending on the CPU. Quad core CPUs with HT are more than enough for 99% of the users. I would spend the 70 pounds on an extra USB hard disk, or any other accessories that you would actually use rather than a CPU which you could "potentially" use at some time.

rchip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks guys.

Good, helpful advice - I'l just order the base model!

Cheers,

Rich

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
is it possible that 99% of people can't tell 2.2 vs. 2.5 now but in 4 years, it will be a much bigger difference in performance?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
is it possible that 99% of people can't tell 2.2 vs. 2.5 now but in 4 years, it will be a much bigger difference in performance?

Unless you're making money with the laptop, doing large calculations or rendering or the sort with it, and every single second counts, a processor upgrade is nearly never worthwhile.

jafca09

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
Unless you're making money with the laptop, doing large calculations or rendering or the sort with it, and every single second counts, a processor upgrade is nearly never worthwhile.

I might be doing large calculations in Excel for Windows (using Parallels), because my grad school requires it. I also use Photoshop for pleasure. Do you think I'd be fine with the base 15" 2.2 GHz? What about the improved graphics on the 2.5?

sprezz

macrumors regular
May 28, 2014
Zurich, Switzerland
I might be doing large calculations in Excel for Windows (using Parallels), because my grad school requires it. I also use Photoshop for pleasure. Do you think I'd be fine with the base 15" 2.2 GHz? What about the improved graphics on the 2.5?

Those MHZ will "maybe" yield a performance improvement of a few percent, so let's just say 10% overall would mean an excel calculation that takes 0.5 seconds now takes 0.6 seconds with the cheaper CPU. Or the photo merge takes 11 seconds instead of 10.

You will hardly notice it. But for a developer who is constantly compiling and running unit tests on his machine, those extra seconds do add up quite fast...

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
What about the improved graphics on the 2.5?
I had been debating myself trying to choose between the high-end and the base 15" rMBP and just yesterday I ended up buying the high-end one. I have done some Photoshop and video-editing work; the iGPU has been more than capable of accomplishing those tasks - I did not see the dGPU kicking in.
So if you'll be doing light work graphic wise, the iGPU on the base 15" would be more than capable I think.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

You're already handicapping your calculation's performance by quite a bit by running it in a virtual machine. If you want to see a real gain in performance, run it in bootcamp instead of spending for a more powerful CPU.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
But if i want to play games as thief,etc via Parallels?

You're crippling gaming performance by running 2 OS'es at once with virtualized hardware. Getting that extra processor speed will yield next to zero performance improvement. You want gaming performance, run bootcamp, period.

Dugi01

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
You're crippling gaming performance by running 2 OS'es at once with virtualized hardware. Getting that extra processor speed will yield next to zero performance improvement. You want gaming performance, run bootcamp, period.

Thanks. Is it free, can you advise me one?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Thanks. Is it free, can you advise me one?

Bootcamp is just a fancy assistant that helps you partition your drive and load the necessary windows drivers on a USB key for you. It comes bundled with OS X, no purchase necessary.

You WILL need a copy of Windows to install it though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.