2.2Ghz vs 2.3Ghz quadcore 15" Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ColdAsIce, Jun 23, 2011.

1. ColdAsIce macrumors newbie

Dear all,

I have bought a Macbook Pro 15" and i know there are loads of forums regarding this, but really does it warrant spending an extra £200 on the 2.3GHz are there much real performance gains.

You get a better Cache but really does that justify the cost? Would i actually notice anything to be honest, or is it people just want the most expensive Mac?

Future Proofing is a load of Garbage as something next year better will be out and i presume its rare to have quad core's on Notebooks.

Went for the 500GB 7200rpm hard drive, and the high resolution glossy screen and the Apple Care with the student discount

Also what programme would you recommend to start simple video presenations :)

Any thoughts?

2. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I have the 2.3 QUAD.. and it's a good upgrade for what you will be using it for. I have to disagree what you said about "future proofing".. yes, there will be something better next year.. but I'm not going to spend $2500 a year on a machine. I plan on having my fully loaded quad-core throughout college.. unless my engineering program requires me to have something better (I doubt it). I do love having up to 3.4GHz boost.. playing games is awesome, having all that rendering power. When editing video, I can render a 2 min HD video in under 2 minutes. On my C2D.. it would take at least 5 minutes. I'm sure there isn't that much between the 2.2 and the 2.3.. but the boost and the cache was enough for me. It wasn't really that much more money anyway. And since I need something that is "future proofed" for a little while.. it was well worth it for me. oh.. I also got the high res screen... the 8GB ram.. and the 7200RPM drive. I figured I would go all out on this one since my other mac had some tea spilt on it. (got it fixed though!-new keyboard from Apple.)

3. Barnzee macrumors regular

There won't be a huge difference in terms of performance but if you are going to invest in a macbook pro you might as well spend a little extra and get the best one because your already spending a lot. This might help relieve buyers remorse. Also you can get 7200rpm 750Gb WD drives aftermarket if you want more space. Also consider buying ram aftermarket because apple charges too much.

As for Presentations are concerned you could get Microsoft Office (Powerpoint) or iWork (Keynote). Both are good programs but I prefer the ladder.

Plus if your a Mac User Future proof isn't really all that important because Apple really only refreshes the product line Annually so you can enjoy your product for a while without feeling that its outdated.