2.3 & 2.5 Ghz Xserve Updates?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to ThinkSecret, Apple's 1U server is set to receive a speed bump in January, likely at Macworld Expo San Francisco. Systems will be bumped to a 2.3GHz G5 processor, identical to what Virginia Tech received months ago for its System X cluster, although sources didn't dismiss the possibility that a 2.5GHz Xserve might emerge as well.

The update also relates to the upcoming release of Xsan - the new shared-storage solution due from Apple. The expected release is in the 'Fall of 2004', but new rumors place the possible release of the application possibly as late as January 2005. The current developer's Xsan Preview Build, 7N156, expires December 31, 2004.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
whats with xsan i know it's a file system but whats the advantage of useing it?, as for xserves, fan noise is not much of an issue there loud as hell as it is so it cant get worse and frankly no one cares

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
I figured this was coming, just I expected it to happen at the end of November with new emacs. Oh well, updates are good.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
jackieonasses said:
They need too. I wonder if they will just stick overly loud fans on the 2.5 or use liquid cooling...
A 2.5GHz Xserver is great news IMO.

Apple is most likely going to use the new low powered G5 chips for the 2.5GHz model since no liquid cooling will be required and would most likly be less noisy and less power to drive it.

2.3GHz is already available however only to Virginia Tech.

This is also great news because it means that the PMG5 will either see a 2.8 - 3.0GHz models.

iMac G5 will be bumped to 2.0GHz in its rev B state.

And will we see a PowerBook G5, I wish MacRumors had some sort of bet on this one where we can wager money on. :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
2.3 GHz would be nice, but since they have the 2.5 GHz chip already at their disposal, it wouldn't surprise me to see that as an upgrade either. As for a MWSF release for this update, makes sense to me, I think it's a strong possibility.

And before this thread gets corrupted by all the G5 PowerBook whiners: no, just because the xServe is getting faster G5 chips and it is a relatively small enclosure, this does not mean we will be seeing G5 PowerBooks released at MWSF as well... :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
m a y a said:
And will we see a PowerBook G5, I wish MacRumors had some sort of bet on this one where we can wager money on. :)
Oh, we will see one - just not at MWSF '05. If you think a G5 PowerBook will be released at MWSF then I'll be happy to take your money off your hands... :p :cool:

mattroberts

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Canada
xsan - what does it do exactly?

this storage solution, anybody have a bit more of an idea as to what is in it? (an educated guess is fine)

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I would like to see both 2.3 and 2.5. Or 2.0 and 2.3. All dual processor accept the cluster node. Gives the ability to go cheaper or go for the gold with the highest.

DPazdanISU

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
Near Chicago
Waiting to buy...

I really want to buy an iMac but I can't stand the video card. Gimme a processor boost to 2ghz and even at least an optional upgrade to 128 video. Then an iMac will be in my room :rolleyes:

outerspaceapple

macrumors regular
May 23, 2004
Minnetonka, MN USA
swissmann said:
But so much size difference that a PowerBook couldn't fit a single 1.6 GHz processor in it and still have room to cool?

My guess is Apple has already kinked out most of the bugs related to the PBG5, and is just waiting for an optimal time to release it. 2 weeks before christmas isn't exactly optimal.

Back to subject though, XServe G5s are closing in on those x86 servers in terms of GHz (although we all know they can already handle way more instructions-per-second), and this is great news for apple. Having a 10 XServe cluster running at 2.5GHz as opposed to 2.0 or 2.3 is a huge improvement.

Like another reader pointed out, this should also mean great things for the PMG5, iMac G5, and even possibly the PBG5.

ThomasHobbes

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2004
swissmann said:
But so much size difference that a PowerBook couldn't fit a single 1.6 GHz processor in it and still have room to cool?
When they're 1.7 Ghz G4's out now (Sonnet, confirmed that it is indeed a true 1.7, not overclocked like Giga Designs (1.6 to 1.73)) why go slower and way hotter with a G5?

Apple probably has 1.8 G4's and that's the next update.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
outerspaceapple said:
My guess is Apple has already kinked out most of the bugs related to the PBG5, and is just waiting for an optimal time to release it. 2 weeks before christmas isn't exactly optimal.

Back to subject though, XServe G5s are closing in on those x86 servers in terms of GHz (although we all know they can already handle way more instructions-per-second), and this is great news for apple. Having a 10 XServe cluster running at 2.5GHz as opposed to 2.0 or 2.3 is a huge improvement.

Like another reader pointed out, this should also mean great things for the PMG5, iMac G5, and even possibly the PBG5.
I agree with you. I hope you are right on the PBG5 - I'm much more in the market for one of those than an XServe. Maybe someday my comapany will be big enough to warrant a couple XServes though.