2.3 ghz Impact on Battery Life vs 2.2ghz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Whitelightning, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Whitelightning, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

Whitelightning macrumors regular

Is there any negative impact on the battery of the 15'' MBP if 2.3ghz is selected instead of 2.2ghz? If so, how significant?

2. Evil Spoonman macrumors 6502

At load there should be a small decrease in battery life. At idle, it should be nonexistent as Sandy Bridge is very well power managed.

3. Tconroy135 macrumors newbie

The decrease would be so unbelievably small that it would not make a difference.

The truth is that every intel chip has what is called a VID and this varys from chip to chip and it is the voltage required to operate the chip. Usually higher numbered models are binned and will run at higher speeds with a lower VID.

So it is possible that the 2.3Ghz could actually take less power than the 2.2 or whatever.

The amount of power used has very little to do with the rated speed.

4. David-fr macrumors 6502

What about with a high res screen? I returned mine to order a high res.

5. jordey85 macrumors newbie

Minimal at best, I don't think you would be able to notice either way.

6. Evil Spoonman macrumors 6502

Correct. Actually, there are several VIDs of different levels onboard and the CPU transitions between them to try to keep its operating voltage on target.

But yes, it might consume a little less, or a little more… either way the difference will be small. One assumes that the increase in cache size will push it over into identical usage, or slightly more. Either way it will absolutely be miniscule.

The most consumptive part of the screen is the backlight. That will remain identical between panels. The difference in power consumption should be negligible here as well.