2.3"ghz MBPw/RD stuck with 256gb SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Anician, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Anician macrumors member

Has anyone noticed that the 2.3"GHZ MBP with Retina Display doesn't offer you an option to upgrade the storage drive at all? Are all users supposed to be stuck with 256GB? My music library alone is 100GB.

2. rockbird macrumors member

Yes, you either have to get the 2799 version or start using an external for your music if want to purchse the base model

3. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

If you don't need the high resolution screen, than a regular 15" mbp will give you much more space.

4. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

256GB is a huge amount for laptop storage, I really can't see what all the fuss is about? Even with a 100GB iTunes library (why do people insist on carrying every single piece of music and movie they ever downloaded with them?), that leaves you with 140GB+ for other files. Personally I could cope with 128GB quite easily, all files are on my iMac and backed up on an external HDD.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I've a 160GB ipod classic with 90GB of music. I'm going to connect it to the 256GB new mbp to use as my iTunes library.

7. omgitswes Guest

Umm why not? I'd much rather have everything I have on the machine rather than having to carry an external.

256 isn't nearly enough. Hell I'm making sacrifices with 500gb.

8. jbzcar macrumors regular

On what planet? I have a 1TB HDD in my optibay that is well on its way to being 3/4 full.

9. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

The 13" MacBook Pro I'm coming from from only had a 250GB hard drive.. and I used 160GB of that with all of my photography from the past ~6 years.

I think 256GB SSD is more than enough for me.

10. bluesteel macrumors 6502

me too!! :)

11. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Any idiot can fill a TB, but how much of it do you actually need on your laptop? That's my point, not that people don't own terrabytes of files, just that why on earth would they want everything on their laptop?

Seems crazy too me, a few thousand songs, 3-4 games and half a dozen movies that I'm planning to watch soon'ish would be fine for me. I just see no value in having every file I own on my laptop.

12. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Yup.

I mean the Retina model is beautiful, but besides the screen, I think many users can get along fine with the Legacy model.

I personally don't see the need for such a high resolution display. Sure it would be nice to have, but not at that price, and not for that storage.

Base 15" Macbook Pro
    Buy 8 or 16 GB 1600 Mhz RAM
    Buy 512 Samsung 830 SSD

You have pretty much the same performance, all you're missing is that display. Honestly, there's no rush for that display in my opinion, unless you live and breathe the Apple ecosystem, chances are several of your programs will look like crap with all the scaling.

13. omgitswes Guest

Same here, except it's 2TB set up in RAID. That's why I'm hoping to be able to build myself a media server soon. My dad won't let me do it until I get my own place though, says it'll run up the electric bill too much.

14. jbzcar macrumors regular

Neither do I. I have a 2TB external for that. :rolleyes:

15. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Do you think its impressive to have massive amounts of crap filling up the biggest HDD's you can afford? It's just modern day hoarding IMO.

[​IMG]

16. jbzcar macrumors regular

LOL.

Is this guy being serious? I can't tell.

17. omgitswes Guest

It's called media hoarding and I am a proud media hoarder.
    Terabytes of music, movies, TV shows and games.

18. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

This is by "subtle" design. You're supposed to use iCloud. And when your free 5GB is used up you're supposed to start paying for the storage.

Sheer genius on Apple's part. Clever bastards.

19. jbzcar macrumors regular

I preserve all of my DVD and Blu-Ray purchases because we all know that accidents can happen to anyone. ;)

As I said in another thread, even my Steam folder alone is upwards of ~30GB. That would be 1/8th of my total space if all I had was 256GB. God forbid I buy any new games on top of that. :p

20. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

256GB will be more than enough. Down the road I am sure OWC will have options to upgrade it later.

For users that have an iMac or some sort of Desktop keep all my media stored there and just put what you want on your laptop. No different than how you would Sync Media to a iPhone/iPad. You can use iTunes to transfer selected Media onto your MacBook using the Home Sharing.

21. Anician thread starter macrumors member

22. Anician thread starter macrumors member

Not sure how I skipped over your reply but I think you just provided the most thoughtful/logical explanation amongst the 20 or so replies. Congrats.

23. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Absolutely, that`s the plan; pity i can buy a small 1Tb hard drive drop it in my bag, the cost of the extra storage at present on SSD`s is still too high for the average user. I know we have been spoilt by the plummeting pricing of hard drives in general, and their massive escalation in capacity, lets hope SSD`s follow the same path.

I use and like the Cloud just not Apple`s bit :p

----------

Nope he`s on the money, if we were restricted on storage we would all be far more careful on how we use it. I have several TB of data and who know`s how much duplication or just junk for later. recently i moved to an offsite Cloud based backup system, I now only keep what i need the rest I will sift & consolidate as local backup. 9Tb + of external drive space so thats going to take a day or two :p

24. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Currently waiting for my retina mbp to get here around mid of next month, but starting to think just get a regular high res antiglare 15" mbp.

The reasons are as you have listed. I already have a 256GB ssd, I can move the stock hd in to the optical bay and buy 8GB RAM for £40. So for £300 less, I've a machine with same CPU, 10GB RAM, 256GB ssd with 500GB hd.

The only problem is I find the 1600x900 resolution on my 14" ThinkPad a bit limited, so really want a 1900x1080 screen, so the retain mbp in 1900x1200 setting will be perfect for me.

25. CUsurfer macrumors member

So...$1799 for the base cMBP. $100 for the HiRes screen. $200 for a Crucial M4 256 (a more apt comparison since the base rMBP has a 256GB SSD), $100 for Corsair Vengeance 16GB ram. So now you're at $2199. Compare that to a base rMBP with 16GB ($2199 + $180 = $2379).

So basically a difference of $180. That's not very much money for a cutting edge display. Now I understand there are other concerns like third party apps and websites looking like crap for a few months (maybe even years?). It's a tough call, but it's hard for me not to believe another $180 to future-proof my laptop display isn't worth it. It's too bad Apple didn't make the cMBP prices cheaper than they are.