2.3 GHz or 8GB Ram Upgrade, 2011 15" High End.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Radex, Feb 25, 2011.

  1. Radex macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2011
    #1
    Yeah, excuse me for adding on to the help me threads :D. Hopefully, there isn't a current thread very similar to this <_<.

    I am pretty close to buying my Macbook Pro just a few things to question though.

    It seems Apple became more reasonable with the ram upgrade which enticed me, but would the 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 upgrade (from the 2.2 GHz) be a better choice?

    Price is not a huge worry for me; I wouldn't mind shelling an extra $45 if the benefit outweighs the ram upgrade; but I do want to be effective with the money.

    2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 [Add $225.00]
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB [Add $180.00]

    Eh, a lot of thinking on the possible solutions, but I am being a little too indecisive and I need to get it ordered before Monday.

    I am a student btw. Heavy Photoshop work and plenty of use with video editing. Typical essay work, browsing, presentations, etc.
     
  2. Buskape macrumors 6502

    Buskape

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    NGC 4889
    #2
    You will benefit more with upgrading to 8Gb of ram on your current needs.
     
  3. einmusiker macrumors 68030

    einmusiker

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2010
    Location:
    Location: Location:
    #3
    +1, and you can probably get it cheaper aftermarket
     
  4. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2007
    #4
    If it were me, because the ram is user replaceable and the CPU is not, i'd get the CPU upgrade then if i really need it get the RAM later.

    Do you really need 8GB of RAM?
     
  5. orangepeel macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2010
    #5
    Upgrade the cpu now, and you can always upgrade the ram later. The cpu is not only just a 100mhz upgrade, the l2 cache is increased from 6mb to 8mb.
     
  6. Radex, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

    Radex thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2011
    #6
    That is what got me is that CPU is not user replaceable while the ram is which is why I am a little conflicted, haha. Also, I have done heavy work in which that 4GB was not enough. I suppose it might be my patience as well.

    If the idea of the CPU is better, I believe I could wait for the meantime until I get money to get the ram from OWC.

    Edit:

    Ah, I see. Hm, probably might be a good idea then.
     
  7. AppleMacFinder, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

    AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

    AppleMacFinder

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2009
    #7
    8gb ram

    Choose 8GB RAM. The CPU upgrade will add 3-5% of performance, at max;
    that will be hardly noticeable - for $225.00, that is too expensive.
     
  8. Radex thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2011
    #8
    Mmhm, that is another consideration that I thought of. Thank you guys for the inputs, hopefully more will post to help me finalize my decision.
     
  9. Whitelightning macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2007
  10. whyzdom macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2011
    #10
    Upgrade the ram, third party. That will give you more of an increase than upgrading the processor.
     

Share This Page