2.3 GHz or 8GB Ram Upgrade, 2011 15" High End.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Radex, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Radex macrumors member

Yeah, excuse me for adding on to the help me threads :D. Hopefully, there isn't a current thread very similar to this <_<.

I am pretty close to buying my Macbook Pro just a few things to question though.

It seems Apple became more reasonable with the ram upgrade which enticed me, but would the 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 upgrade (from the 2.2 GHz) be a better choice?

Price is not a huge worry for me; I wouldn't mind shelling an extra $45 if the benefit outweighs the ram upgrade; but I do want to be effective with the money.

2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 [Add $225.00]
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB [Add $180.00]

Eh, a lot of thinking on the possible solutions, but I am being a little too indecisive and I need to get it ordered before Monday.

I am a student btw. Heavy Photoshop work and plenty of use with video editing. Typical essay work, browsing, presentations, etc.

2. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

You will benefit more with upgrading to 8Gb of ram on your current needs.

3. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

+1, and you can probably get it cheaper aftermarket

4. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

If it were me, because the ram is user replaceable and the CPU is not, i'd get the CPU upgrade then if i really need it get the RAM later.

Do you really need 8GB of RAM?

5. orangepeel macrumors member

Upgrade the cpu now, and you can always upgrade the ram later. The cpu is not only just a 100mhz upgrade, the l2 cache is increased from 6mb to 8mb.

6. Radex, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

Radex thread starter macrumors member

That is what got me is that CPU is not user replaceable while the ram is which is why I am a little conflicted, haha. Also, I have done heavy work in which that 4GB was not enough. I suppose it might be my patience as well.

If the idea of the CPU is better, I believe I could wait for the meantime until I get money to get the ram from OWC.

Edit:

Ah, I see. Hm, probably might be a good idea then.

7. AppleMacFinder, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

8gb ram

Choose 8GB RAM. The CPU upgrade will add 3-5% of performance, at max;
    that will be hardly noticeable - for $225.00, that is too expensive.

8. Radex thread starter macrumors member

Mmhm, that is another consideration that I thought of. Thank you guys for the inputs, hopefully more will post to help me finalize my decision.

9. Whitelightning macrumors regular

10. whyzdom macrumors regular

Upgrade the ram, third party. That will give you more of an increase than upgrading the processor.