2.3 GHz sufficient for coding software?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jeff Hall, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Jeff Hall macrumors regular

Jeff Hall

What kind loads do you have to put on these new MacBook Pros to bog down the 2.3GHz CPU?

I need a snappy machine for doing software development. I was planning to upgrade to a 16GB 2.3 GHz model. Are there some good articles out there that explain what conditions cause the CPU to boost to 3.3 GHz?

The heaviest load I envision would include my IDE, several browsers running simultaneously (e.g., Safari, Firefox, Chrome), a database server, app server, possibly also a web server. In some cases, even Windows IE in a VM at the same time.

I'm stilling getting by with my 2006 MacBook Pro (just 2GB RAM), but it can't run the load I just described. It really bogs down trying to run the IDE and a Windows VM. I suspect that's mainly a RAM issue.

-Jeff

2. nitromac macrumors 6502

My friend did some pretty heavy software development on his MBP, and he had a 2.2 Sandy Bridge, running 1-2 VMs simultaneously, along with Outlook, 20ish tabs in chrome, and Xcode. It ran pretty smoothly. I got the same configuration because of him, lol (albeit the 2012 with ivy bridge)

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech