2.3 ghz vs 2.6

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macbro17, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Macbro17 macrumors newbie

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It depends on what you are doing. If you do a lot of 3D rendering, video encoding, etc. you will probably notice the difference. If you don't regularly do things that specifically load down the CPU you probably wouldn't notice.

3. dazmanuk macrumors newbie

0.3ghz per core ;):rolleyes::D

4. Macbro17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would 2.6ghz increase fps in gaming or no? I also do a decent amount of video editing and photoshop

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I doubt it would effect games very much, it's possible but it would depend on the specific game.

With video editing you will mostly notice a bump in speed when doing things like importing and exporting video or applying filters/effects, since those are pretty CPU intensive.

With Photoshop you might notice when applying filters to large images.

Mostly just a few seconds here and there when you get to something that actually loads down the CPU.

Are you looking at the Retina MBP or the non-retina? Since there are some other things bundled with the 2.6Ghz models of each.

On the non-retina you get 1GB video memory with the 2.6Ghz model, which can help with games. On the Retina model the 2.6Ghz comes with the 512GB SSD, which could come in handy if you're working with large video and Photoshop files.

6. RVspidey macrumors member

7. Macbro17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm looking at the retina version, I've figured the 256 gb isn't that bad since I can always add external storage. Thank for the help!

8. Slivortal macrumors 6502

So many threads on this subject... The gain on 2.6 is minimal, especially for $600. The only reason for that upgrade is if you need the extra 256GB of space.

If you want to see gains, upgrade your RAM to 16GB for $200 instead.

9. brentsg macrumors 68030

It's a great upgrade if you need the extra SSD space and will also benefit from the additional CPU bump.