2.3 i5 2.7 i7 early 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cmetzger93, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Cmetzger93 macrumors newbie

Does anyone on the forum know if the 2.3 ghz i5 logic board can be swapped out with the 2.7 ghz i7 logic board. Both are early 2011. I'm specifically looking at swapping my 2.3 logic board with this one http://m.ebay.com/itm/181450932647?nav=SEARCH and getting it repaired.

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Between the Early 2011 models yes - you could remove a 2.3 i5 logic board and replace it with a 2.7 i7 logic board - they are equivalent simply differing in the processor soldered to the board.

If your talking about transferring stuff between an early and late 2011 MBP though then I think your going to run into issues - yes they are very similar but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple had changed things slightly enough between the models.

3. Cmetzger93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. That's exactly what I needed to know. Another question for you is since I recently upgraded to 16gb of ram and a 1tb ssd will the 2.7 ghz logic board be a substantial difference than the 2.3?

4. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Based on that eBay link with photos those boards were liquid damaged with the processor and several chips de-balled(removed) as part of normal "e-recycling" in China.

5. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Doubtful. It amounts to at most a 10% boost in synthetic benchmarks.

For the amount of time, money and work it would be to install and repair a damaged board I can't see how it would be worth it to move to a 2.7Ghz board. Between those three your likely to expend more money than a new Mac would cost. Remember time = money.

As was mentioned in your previous thread, if your feeling like you need more power from your Mac and you have already done the "easy" upgrades of RAM and an SSD then you really should be looking towards a new Mac. But it's your money I suppose.