2-3 minute delay when receiving texts...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by CreativeName, May 12, 2015.

1. CreativeName macrumors member

Ugh, I'm trying so hard to love this thing, but....

I'm working with my phone on my desk right by my wrist. My phone is locked, but I'm trying to have a back-and-forth text conversation with someone.

Since my phone is locked, my notifications are going to my watch.... but there is a 2-3 minute delay from when the text is received on my phone to when I feel the tap! It wouldn't be an issue if I were still getting the pop up on my locked phone right as the text comes in... but of course it doesn't show up in the lock screen because I have it set up to go to my watch.

It seems silly to me to have to go through the steps of turning notifications on and off depending on if I walk away from my phone or not. That's too much of a time suck to make this feature valuable in my opinion.

Oh, and I absolutely can not get wifi to work on this thing.

Less than 24 hours with it and I'm already leaning toward returning it. :(

2. jjlannoo Suspended

how do you know your phone is getting it 2-3 minutes before the watch? With the watch on your phone won't light up or sound a alert.

3. CreativeName thread starter macrumors member

Looking at the time it was sent from the sender's phone, comparing that to the time my phone receives it, and comparing THAT to the time it comes in on my watch.

Also, if I just randomly happen to tap the home button on my phone, there will be a message on the lock screen before I get the tap. (But it won't light up a dark lock screen... I have to hit the home button to wake it up to see it )

4. jjlannoo Suspended

I just tried this and it seems pretty instant on mine. IDK maybe if things are that time sensitive for you You would be better off removing a device from the chain and that would be the watch.

5. CreativeName thread starter macrumors member

I can't help but think that something isn't right with my set up, or my network, or something... I've seen people say there's a 15-30 second delay, which is certainly no big deal. But 2-3 minutes when trying to have a back and forth conversation with someone makes texting painful. There's gotta be something screwy with my particular set up. Especially since I can't get wifi to work either.

6. jjlannoo Suspended

Remember texting on nextel before SMS lmao. You would send a text and it would get there hours later or the next day.

7. CreativeName thread starter macrumors member

ha yes!!! :d

8. mrboba1 macrumors regular

What do you mean you can't get wifi to work? I didn't do anything, it just connects to the same wifi network your phone is connected to.

9. CreativeName thread starter macrumors member

I thought that's how it worked too.. it would automatically connect. But if I turn off my Bluetooth, I get the red disconnected icon at the top and I can't send iMessages or anything.

10. mrboba1 macrumors regular

It shouldn't. Try forgetting your wifi network on your phone, and then reconnecting to it. That might get them to pair up.

Edit: That might be part of the reason you are getting delays.

11. CreativeName thread starter macrumors member

I actually tried that and no luck. Thanks for the input though!

12. mrboba1 macrumors regular

I'd get Apple support on it then. Because I just turned off BT and the pairing didn't even hiccup.

13. CreativeName thread starter macrumors member

I keep seeing that the watch doesn't support 5GHz WiFi.... but I have no clue to check my home or work wifi to see if that's the culprit. Anyone know? I'm guessing that might be the problem. If it is, that just blows my mind and would be SO un-apple like.

14. mrboba1 macrumors regular

Found this on Apple Support Community:

15. phirstube macrumors regular

phirstube

How does an apple watch connect over wifi if the wifi is protected? Does it get an IP address? If you have MAC filtering on this even complicates things more.

16. CreativeName thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I will try this. One very stupid question... I'm at work - is there some way I can easily check to see if I'm connected to 5 or 2.4 on my phone?

17. jjlannoo Suspended

It copies the settings from your iPhone

18. phirstube macrumors regular

phirstube

I cant think of another type of device that does this. Is the watch given an IP address? It just seems like a hack of how IP devices are suppose to work.

19. mrboba1 macrumors regular

I'm not sure why you think this is odd. It takes the wifi information when your phone is connected to it and then assigns an IP address.

I haven't found where you can see the Watch's IP address, but how could it not be different? The two devices would not work correctly.