2-3 weeks shipping!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bass108, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Bass108 macrumors member

2. timestamp macrumors 6502

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. Bass108 thread starter macrumors member

i can do it and its so important...sorry

not worth another headache

and with applecare i don't want to have to pull out the ram to get it serviced

2.8 with 8GB, airport, applecare, and 3 TB drives

5. timestamp macrumors 6502

Please tell me you are kidding? It is not a headache. If you are going to send it to AppleCare you should pull the extra RAM out from the 3rd party to make sure that isn't the problem anyway. Plus, you want to pull it out in the event Apple tries to send you a replacement.

I am sorry but buying RAM from Apple is absolutely foolish. 8GB would cost you ~$400 from a 3rd party. Plus, you would still have the stock 2GB, meaning you would have 10GB.

6. Bass108 thread starter macrumors member

i'm a purist and this special apple heatsink sounds finicky if from 3rd party

obviously there are other that agree or i would have been getting my mac pro in 7-10 days

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I wouldn't question the quality of OWC RAM and their product support around here.

8. timestamp macrumors 6502

The heatsink on the OWC RAM is exactly the same. It is by no means finicky from at least OWC. Heck you could pay more for the netlist certified RAM and still come out much cheaper. That heatsink is supposed to offer better cooling.

There are others who agree with you I am sure. But, stupidity in numbers is still stupidity. And paying $1500 for something that costs $400 is indeed stupid.

9. thevibesman macrumors regular

Not a big deal, as long as the RAM itself tests not to be defective Apple will not replace DIMMs on a logic board replacement but will just put in whatever RAM was on your old board be it Apple supplied or 3rd party.

10. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Oh my God, no you didn't. If got the Ram somewhere else, that would be around 400 like Timestamp said, leaving you with an extra 1,100 to add some HD and the 8800GT. Damn man. Apple's probably laughing. lol

11. timestamp macrumors 6502

Are you saying Apple will replace 3rd party RAM. I don't think so.

Another point to consider is this. Lets say you get the Applecare. Thats 3 years. After 3 years, if some of your RAM kicks the bucket. Guess what, you won't be getting that replaced by Apple.

If you have 3rd party RAM, no problem. Lifetime warranty. Your RAM is covered forever, not 3 years as with Apple.

Yet another reason to save yourself $1100.

12. Bass108 thread starter macrumors member

i thought about lifetime warranty

...i have never known someone to have faulty ram or it to go bad

13. Bass108 thread starter macrumors member

i was also wondering how apple gets off chrarging 3 times instead of double for 16...makes sense for the 4GB sticks but the 2GB ones? its the same thing...

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're not the first person to ask about Apple's RAM prices. They seem to charge what they feel like which in usually ludicrous.

I got 4 GB of RAM w/lifetime warranty for $80. Apple charges $750-800 for it.

15. timestamp macrumors 6502

I have. Many times over in fact.

16. PROJECT359 macrumors regular

PROJECT359

That's an estimated shipping time. I ordered mine on Tuesday and it stated 2 - 3 weeks but it shipped today. Should be here next week.

17. Bass108 thread starter macrumors member

18. tvbi macrumors member

sorry to hear... about the price of the RAM you paid Apple :eek:

19. CV4 macrumors member

I can't believe you actually paid Apple for that ram...

20. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

if its 2-3 weeks shipping, you can still cancel. Don't just throw away 1500$...

21. bigbird macrumors 6502

I have a G4 Imac 800 MHz. Last summer it started acting weird and freezing. I had added a 512MB stick when it was brand new to give me 768MB total RAM. Turned out the added 512 died and I was only running on 256. I pulled the 512 out, took it back to the reseller, and they ordered in a new 512 at no charge to me. Sure was good to have a lifetime warranty on the extra RAM.

22. MikeL macrumors 6502

Speaking as an Apple shareholder, I love you!

23. Bass108 thread starter macrumors member

ok...for anyone that has their new mac pro and their owc ram is there any difference? cosmetics or anything? i might change my mind with the higher owc...

24. oogje macrumors regular

oogje

You're well within your rights to buy memory from Apple if it you want to. When you answer the "Do you have 3rd party memory?" question from AppleCare you can say "No" and proceed. It is convenient.

For the record, memory can go bad down the road. I bought a dual 2GHZ GHz as soon as they were announced - with 8GB of Apple memory. A module went bad 3 years and 3 months after I got the machine - 3 months after AppleCare had expired.

Now, if the 3rd party has the memory, I will buy 3rd party.

25. Bass108 thread starter macrumors member

alright i am in now for owc ram...and going with a raid setup now...as long as i hope i can trust these owc dual sata enclosures.

you guys sure know how to make someone feel bad about their purchase