2.33Ghz iMac vs. 3.06Ghz iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cwazytech, Jan 16, 2009.

1. cwazytech macrumors 6502

Just in case someone reading this thread knows, I was wondering how much improvement a 3.06Ghz iMac is over a 2.33Ghz iMac in terms of video encoding and video editing with FCP(I know Mac Pro is better but I can't afford that)?

2. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

A lot, significant enough that you'd notice in real world use, (so more than just 10% type incremental jump).

But, don't know that I'd invest in the upgrade your talking about. Wait if you can, the current iMac has been out for quite a while... the next best thing can't be too far away.:cool:

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

as has been said, the difference would be amazing!!! all video editing is done by the CPU so you really would notice the difference between the two iMacs.

4. rylin macrumors 6502

Isn't the iMovie '09 live preview GPU based?
    It is at the very least accelerated through Core Video, so it's not *all* CPU based.

The final encode/export on the other hand will benefit from more CPU, though I suspect iMovie '09 has decent support for OpenCL under christmas kitty.

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The Mac Pro single-quad is only $100 more than the iMac....of course that assumes you already have a display, which you may not.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well iMovie09 isnt out yet, so i was basing my stats on all products that could be bought.

once Snow Leopard comes out it will probably change, most editing/coding etc would be done by the GPU im guessing.

7. Arcadie macrumors regular

8. cwazytech thread starter macrumors 6502

My real deal is I want a faster processor, but I also really want a larger internal HD. I can't decide if I should upgrade or save some money and just install a new HD in my current iMac. Money isn't really a problem but If upgrading to the 3.06Ghz processor isn't a grand improvement I think I'd rather just install a new HD. Any thoughts?

9. matt1219 macrumors regular

I just bought my Refurb iMac 3.06. It is a beast. Standard it comes with 500 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, etc. I would say it's a pretty big difference. But if you just want a bigger HD, just go with that.

10. TrapOx macrumors 6502

2.33 to 3.06 is a 25% difference, bound to be noticeable.